Johnson 48 hp tune up

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude

Reaction score
Recently acquired a 1993 Johnson 48. I tried to start it when I bought it but it died within 3 seconds or so and never would fire again.

Today I hope to get it running. My plan is to check spark, replace the plugs, clean and or rebuild the carbs, replace fuel lines, replace impeller, and change lower end oil. Got a new can of trufuel premixed so I know I have good fuel.

Wish me luck! Any input on this motor?
93f11a1218cda55ce59bd235b2d7020b.jpg
09056fab1e13e43113c18e807621eff7.jpg
10abb8a4c365c19bf5748b7c298d9d1c.jpg

Got it running with new plugs and carb kits!

Bad news is it won't idle. Some gas is coming out of the front of the carbs so I think my electric primer may be open or stuck. The motor has to be choked to run. Will adjust and test the idle jets and run some seafoam thru it.

So I may have solved the idle problem. The cam throttle roller circled in the picture was worn on one side down to the metal. Simply rotating that around made it idle much better. I also adjusted the low speed jet screw but didn't want to tinker too much with it.

The electric choke/primer also was set high on manual setting so reset that to stock automatic setting. I think it was resulting in excess gas sitting in the carb (pictured below). Also seemed to idle better once I got the vacuum hose hooked up to the air cover and got it all buttoned up (I was running with carbs exposed before).

Video of idle. https://youtu.be/113gGu1UGO0

Also included some pics of my helpers! Good day all in all.

cf61b62187f508872a7b7887969c933a.jpg
09007d545170fa694518adc695142916.jpg
7412c308352983a5a6a91b01e6ce793e.jpg
54146a1e746acd631e50e7e97349c323.jpg
b6ebd6b4c4ba9277a418dc9506595acc.jpg

Good for you. I also have a 48hp spl johnson. I like it a lot, had a couple problems when I first bought it, spark plug gap at 60 thou, carbs needed cleaning but that is all at that time.
Yours looks way better than mine, I suspect mine may have been on fire at one point in its life.
Tim

Update. I got some parts in and took advantage of some temps in the 60s here in Dallas. This morning I installed the new cam roller and wow what a difference it made. I included pics to show the difference and amazed that a 1/16th inch sleeve on the roller makes it idle so much different (new one is the first pic). The previous owner was compensating for dirty carbs and worn cam roller by adjusting the idle screw. As soon as these two were corrected it idled at 2000+ rpms! Scarred the bejesus outta me when it fired. Also replaced air intake and carb gaskets to make sure all was well sealed. Very happy now and took it out on a lake test and getting over 5000 rpms and great idle.

Only one problem remains and that is the broken cmc power trim. It is stuck slightly trimmed up and actuator is not working.

I took a video and you can see the prop spray/blow out at about 3000 rpm or so. Now I have to make some expensive decisions about the trim. There are three trim holes and it is currently in the middle so I could adjust it one more hole down at least temporarily.

https://youtu.be/E9FqFXEJyFQ
540ece4779bf6aa33552e1f132e58644.jpg
5dac00ddbe10bc4763d136da384841a2.jpg
6d4618b67ae15ec7cd4b99713e13d5de.jpg

Nice. I had 48 spl Evinrude and liked it a lot. If I remember correctly it's the same as a 50 hp except no tilt trim.

You can get a schematic of the CMC online. Most likely a bad relay. I believe that is a jack plate.

water bouy said:
Nice. I had 48 spl Evinrude and liked it a lot. If I remember correctly it's the same as a 50 hp except no tilt trim.
Mine still has the remnants of the lift assist tilt but not working. I understood it was only a lift assist with a release valve to lower it (no power).

I have tested and have voltage past the relay. I think my only other troubleshoot is to send voltage directly to the motor and confirm motor is dead.
nccatfisher said:
You can get a schematic of the CMC online. Most likely a bad relay. I believe that is a jack plate.

thedude said:
I have tested and have voltage past the relay. I think my only other troubleshoot is to send voltage directly to the motor and confirm motor is dead.
Replacement motors here: https://www.boatstore.com/cmc-jack-plate-motor-replacement-kit-fits-cmc-models-dch2500-pt-130.html

I'd check to see if someone could rebuild it first. But try rapping on the housing with a wooden mallet while applying power, as sometimes that "stimulates" worn brushes to make contact with the housing.

DaleH said:
thedude said:
Replacement motors here: https://www.boatstore.com/cmc-jack-plate-motor-replacement-kit-fits-cmc-models-dch2500-pt-130.html

I'd check to see if someone could rebuild it first. But try rapping on the housing with a wooden mallet while applying power, as sometimes that "stimulates" worn brushes to make contact with the housing.

I sold my old boat with a rubber mallet and showed the guy how to thump the trim to get it working. the CMC units are known for corrosion in the motor and that just may fix it.

Good to know! I will need my assistant to try this since the trim button is by the helm.

I have heard of people rebuilding these and finding similar brushes to replace the worn ones but i have yet to find someone reliable to send it to.

Unfortunately this PT130 has the motor and actuator in one (pic attached) - the only replacement units i have seen come all in one piece and run $400. Not bad considering the price i paid for the boat. I'm referring the link that Dale posted.

I'll try the hammer first and keep you posted if i can find someone to rebuild - at the very least i'll take it apart myself just out of curiosity!

Attachments

• THM_ELCT0078.jpg
    THM_ELCT0078.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 2,575

Latest posts