FLOOR REPAIR

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rookie1719

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Real quick ... I’ve been trying to buy marine grade plywood to replace a floor in my mirrocraft v-hill 14ft.

I’m redoing the whole thing and the carpet. NO big stores sell it ... rona ... Home Depot ... lumber yard .. home hardware etc etc. If I can’t find it what else can I use ?

Due to the covid 19 I’m not longer working so finding small projects to do. Can anyone help what I can use and what I need to do?

Thank you

You could always use a decent exterior play, cut to fit, test fit again, maybe a 3rd time, allow room for glass. Then fiberglass mat the whole thing. Probably should do this for marine grade also.

BCX is all you need, you can seal the plywood with Old timers formula.

Can you give instructions on the "Old Timers Formula", will carpet adhesive/carpet stick to it after being applied to decking?

Old timers is a mix of Spar varnish or Spar urethane, Boiled linseed oil and Mineral spirts. I think carpet can be glued to it but I have not done it.

X2 on the bcx and old timers. I believe it is one part linseed one part spar urethane and 2 parts mineral spirits but hunt around on the site to confirm. There are several threads about it.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Forget carpet, that holds moisture and looks like crap not years later. Go marine vinyl, sold my rig after 21-years use and the vinyl still looked great!

I also prefer an epoxy wet-out to the edge grain (2 coats) and covering (try the sample kit from Raka Epoxy, www.raka.com) vs that old timers formula, which will not last as well. Epoxy coating is a done once/done right solution for wood.

In 1995 I bought a 14 foot boat. I bought regular 1/2" plywood, and painted it with 2 coats of fiberglass resin. I sold it to a friend years ago, but that plywood is still as hard as a rock. I think it might actually outlast the boat.

Latest posts