Newby taking on Lowe 14' project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiguy18

Reaction score
Hi All! Longtime lurker first-time poster here. I am a total newb to boat projects but have decided to tackle a "small" project. I have a 14' Lowe Sea Nymph that has been neglected for a long time. I could tell the flooring was getting waterlogged so I decided, being in isolation and all, that this would be a good time to tear things apart! Here is what it looked like a few years ago-
AF1QipM8UTmah9oP_V7LDxzuKuwW9TV5ax2-F_YNv1c7

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM8UTmah9oP_V7LDxzuKuwW9TV5ax2-F_YNv1c7

I have now torn everything out.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMjINmWUT1iZmxZu_jwJ5smixDfr-MPuJ_wcIkM

I want to keep things as simple as possible. I would like to keep the front bench seat and just run a casting deck directly to the front, with the back of the casting deck resting on the bench seat. I would also like a back casting deck that would just run it on top of the back seat and go all the way to the stern. Next, I would like to remove the two middle storage compartments in the middle of the boat and just have this be an open floor.

Here are my complete beginner questions:

1. Will removing the two middle parts compromise the structure?
2. If I were to remove these, would I just drill out the rivets and then replace the holes with other rivets? Any suggestions on rivets to use for this? Full disclosure, I have never put rivets in anything.
3. I have plenty of wood lying around for this project but I am worried about weight for the bracing of the casting decks. I have never worked with aluminum angle. Should I consider this? What size works well for this? Can I cut it with a metal jigsaw blade? Being in isolation and all, I am kind of limited to online orders. Anything on Amazon that could work well for this?
4.Carpet or Vinyl?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Latest posts