89' Bluefin 16' rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islander78

Reaction score
Hello All,
I recived a 16' 89' bluefin from a friend for renovating the front of his garage that was compleately rotted, in payment as barter i got his dads boat, seemed like a good trade. When i recived it last winter, it had no cover on it, last stickered for 16' and 2 flat tires on the galvanised trailor. And a 50hp mercury oil injected that was informed they had emptied the lower unit upon storage, And there was a problem with the hydrolic lift.
My last post here was 2yrs ago, i got my dads 1964' 18' Starcraft, i replaced the floor in it in 2007, and when i got it 2 yrs ago, it was in rough shape. I rewired it, removed all the house carpet in it, painted the floor and got her in working condition, last fall, i let a friend drive it, he pushed the trottle foward and tilted the motor up at the same time, before i knew it the prop was outta the water! I jumped up to stop him, but it was too late, the center cylinder exploded. I limped it back home n trailered it. Dad took the boat back, $1800 later the motors fixed and tuned up. Still owe dad some $ :oops:
With the experiance i gained on my dads boat, i figure the remod on this Bluefin shouldnt be all that bad..oh boy, what i get myself in to..

Attachments

• 20191116_145418.jpg
    20191116_145418.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 524
With spring in the air, i finnaly took the oppertunity to take a closer look at her20200401_184834.jpg20200401_184825.jpg
Found alot of rodent activity has gone on since they stored it. Did some cleaning, found alot of black walnuts (20 gallons!), shredded foam, and an infestation of carpenter ants.20200331_155113.jpg
The floor was all rotted, all the marine carpet was trashed..oh boy! What did i get myself into!

Being a carpenter of 20 yrs, rotten stuff is no big surprise. But not being a boat guy, i found some concernes.20200403_163438.jpg20200403_163448.jpg
Theres all kinds of things to challenge me here. The side wells that are riveted to the hull are over the wood floor thats riveted down..like the manufacturer never expected the floor to rot! With a little doing and some creative carpentry skills, i got the floor out!20200403_173140.jpg20200403_173153.jpg
Wow what a mess!

More clean up, 5 - 55 gallons bags full at this point.20200406_175224.jpg
Removed the bow frame that had some broken supports, and had a small live well incorperated in it. The passenger glovebox and windshild dashboard was all rotted too, salvaged the box and windshild, debating with a reinstall or leave it out to make more room.
Got some plywood, went with 5/8cdx instead of the 1/2 that was in there. Was gunna treat the ply with something, but the funds were low. So just went with the reinstall..now much easier to replace it in the future.20200414_145301.jpg20200414_145245.jpg
Filled the lower unit and fired up the motor, seems to run well for the brief time i checked. Dont like running a motor too long with just a hose n muffs..manually released the tilt hydrolics and tilted the motor up. Looking into an O-ring kit, gunna clean it n replace the rings regardless.

In process of removing the rest of the marine carpet, the ugly and rotted padded side panels. Found more walnuts and shredded foam. Just about got her all cleaned up.

That boat was sure a mess with crud.
Before you ply-wooded the floor I wood have run all your wiring and would have tried to check for leaks.
That's the time to fix leaky rivets,way easy to buck with no floor.
Also I think if the boat is going to sit outside I would have sealed the plywood.

Your making some nice progress!

Years back I redone a 17' Gruman Deep V.

I agree seal the plywood, normally I recommend the Old Times Formula. Since the floor is in the absolute simplest way to seal the plywood is oil based paint. You could use exterior house paint but it's not as good as oil based.
The next step up is Spar urethane or Spar varnish.

Thank you for the feed back! I just looked at some spar varnish for the floor, some decent products around 50$ gallon, since the floor is easily replaceable now, it shouldn't be much effort to remove it and seal both sides before i get to much farther into it. Looked at the materials link here and seen some good prices for marine carpet also, may go with a 8.5x25' piece n do the floor and sides after i seal the plywood. Also gonna do some topside paint on it. All the wiring lookes in good condition and its all run above the deck through the side walls, gunna replace all the fuses and make sure i have a good tool box built and well stocked for all emergencies. As soon as Michigan lifts the quarantine order, i should have her in the water in no time🙏. The hydraulic lift pump is next on my list of repairs, going to uninstall it and take it to my Marina friend to be rebuilt, then reinstall it.

So its spring, our gov. has lifted the boating ban.. I got the boat in the water. Before i launched it, i took all the plywood out od the floor i installed. I have it all set up to put on some spar varnish. With the boat in the water its much easier to get in and out of it to work on. I have the new side panels cut and ready for varnish also. After i launched the boat, i took it for a quick trip to see how it did. I live about 5 minutes from the main channel down a canal. When i got to the last turn, an alarm went off! High pitch buzz like the ignition alert..motor seemed to be idling the same, a little rough though. I shut it off and drifted for 10 mins thinking it was an overheat alarm, i watched it spit water the whole time so i figured it might be a low oil alarm, oil was at 1/4 full. Turned it back on and the alarm didn't return. Reluctantly still took it for a quick trip to see how the motor would do. At first it hesitated..hasn't run since 2016, so, after goosin the throttle i got it to start running ok..got the bout up to plane at about 24 knots. A lot of spray coming off the stern. Put it in idle n looked..there's 3 sensors off the bottom of the transom..fish finder, depth finder, and a speedometer..all catching and spraying water..i took the boat up to plane again. Still no alarm. On plane the it seemed that somethings pulling the boat to the right. I think there's a trim on the bottom of the lower unit that can be adjusted. Was enough trial for me, went back in. Idled back home, no stalling. Seemed promising.

Islander78 said:
So its spring, our gov. has lifted the boating ban.. I got the boat in the water. Before i launched it, i took all the plywood out od the floor i installed. I have it all set up to put on some spar varnish. With the boat in the water its much easier to get in and out of it to work on. I have the new side panels cut and ready for varnish also. After i launched the boat, i took it for a quick trip to see how it did. I live about 5 minutes from the main channel down a canal. When i got to the last turn, an alarm went off! High pitch buzz like the ignition alert..motor seemed to be idling the same, a little rough though. I shut it off and drifted for 10 mins thinking it was an overheat alarm, i watched it spit water the whole time so i figured it might be a low oil alarm, oil was at 1/4 full. Turned it back on and the alarm didn't return. Reluctantly still took it for a quick trip to see how the motor would do. At first it hesitated..hasn't run since 2016, so, after goosin the throttle i got it to start running ok..got the bout up to plane at about 24 knots. A lot of spray coming off the stern. Put it in idle n looked..there's 3 sensors off the bottom of the transom..fish finder, depth finder, and a speedometer..all catching and spraying water..i took the boat up to plane again. Still no alarm. On plane the it seemed that somethings pulling the boat to the right. I think there's a trim on the bottom of the lower unit that can be adjusted. Was enough trial for me, went back in. Idled back home, no stalling. Seemed promising.

Adjusting that torque tab on the outboard is counter-intuitive to me. I always want to move it the wrong way. You probably already know this but if the boat steers/pulls to the right then move the rear of the tab to the right. Small adjustments at a time of course.

Latest posts