New boat project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

450clown

Reaction score
I picked up a 1971 pioneer semi v last night. The guy was kind enough to deliver it to the house. I'm excited to tear into this one! It came with a 1951 10 hp, I'm hoping it doesn't need alot to get running but The recoil for the pull start is busted and the covers are off it, I have a 4 hp mercury to put on it for time being. My other project is on hold until I receive my air rivet gun, so I'm gna try to get this one cleaned up. Does anyone have any pictures of these how the came out? It'd be a great help!
11ab554e3a367894d59615812e922792.jpg
78ee91ecab8c627efb31162de0cf52c1.jpg
58b30669720a87ddf5a1fb247c982175.jpg
488d503bfbcc53d7aafa6c5314504ec4.jpg

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

My dad and I ended up taking off to the lake for a few days of fishing, got home yesterday. I got to do a bit of work today on the pioneer. I flipped it washed it and wet sanded the hull then buffed and polished the bottom of the hull and transom. Also removed all the wood rub rails to prep for staining. Got it back on the trailer stripped the interior and cleaned in preparation for painting. Anyone have any ideas for a stern mounted, foot operated trolling motor mount? I like the idea of being able to sit in the back and operate everything... any help would be appreciated 20200426_163023.jpg

It looks like a great project boat. I would think things through about trying to control everything from the Stern. Think about weight distribution.

Are you looking for a Transom mount like a Motorguide Bulldog? I don't think they make them anymore, but you might be able to find a used one?

Thank you for the suggestion on the trolling motor! Yes I definitly want to be able to run everything from the stern seat. I have a foot controlled, 45 pds thrust from a parts boat I'm going to rework(hopefully) for hands free operation. I plan on putting the battery under the front seat, to help with wieght. The motor and tank that I received with the boat seems way to heavy so I'm going to use a newer 4 hp mercury I have. I'm wanting to put my seats on those sliding adjustable mounts, to move from side to side and from bench to bench. I want to keep the option of being able to row, for sneaking up on trout. The front end has a built in roller for an anchor so I think I'll be doing some sort of conduit housing and run the anchor reel to the aft as well. Thank you for the input! I'm refinishing the wooden rail and oars now, then paint, then onto the head scratching stuff.
My major questions for now is, would it be better to use teak oil on the wood or boiled linseed oil after stain? I don't like using poly because eventually it will begin to flake and it's a very hard finish..... I use natural linseed oil on all of my wood handled tools because it's softer and doesnt flake or chip and it gets like a natural patina sort of.

I got the seats out and the first coat of paint done on the interior floor, ran 2 Sq ft short! Oh well back to the hardware store but that will have to wait, due to the virus I'm trying to wait until I have a long list of things before heading to town, and I'm working on my big boat at the same time so I've plenty to do 20200430_160428.jpg

Got a bit more done this afternoon. Little bit more polished, seat boards cut, and stained also got the wooden rail reinstalled. Tackling the transom in the a.m.
65c75e3b430367a85eea4398d05a1530.jpg
74a1dd7c4929e25da3564330f684dcb7.jpg

Got my swivel seats mounted today, as well as battery hooked up and tiny onboard charger
I've got an old lowrance lms-350 fish finder I'm thinking of putting on it. Does anyone have experience with these older units, I can't find out to much on them?
2b2c76c05be7fb17155e9a2db1153bd4.jpg
05b87dfef6ace3b1c3286361ddb5fa8c.jpg

Latest posts