Enclosing Portable Gas Tank

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnozman

Reaction score
I am adding a fishing deck to the front of my 16' alumacraft boat. Currently the portable gas tank is at the front of the boat. I want to cover over it with the fishing deck and have hinged access for storage and access to the gas tank. The question I have is how must air ventilation do I need?

johnozman said:
The question I have is how must air ventilation do I need?
... as much as you can give it ... I'd put plastic/metal vents on the vertical bulkheads as I could, with at least a vent of each side so with any air movement the air circulates.

Just be aware by law they are not to be enclosed. But I get why you want to do it ...

I put my tank under a small deck in the front of my duck hunting boat. The deck was far from air tight so I didn't worry to much that and there was no source of ignition near the tank.

My 12 gallon "portable" is under the splash well. There is a vinyl flap snapped across the open part. I guess this isn't considered enclosed.

Being it is 12 gallons it really isn't portable to me. I'm not inclined to lift it in/out of the boat. So I have to climb in the boat and fill it in place with a 5 gallon gaso can.

The coast guard publishes rules and regs on most everything on boats. When I was moving my fuel tank from the back to under my front deck the coast guard formula to figure venting prompted me to just remove the vertical bulkhead section completely. I ended up repurposing a cargo storage net to cover that area. It works out fine for my jon. The net holds gloves, bug spray and other small items quite well. I do have both my 6 gal fuel tank and my only battery in my front deck. Nice to have the weight distribution.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Latest posts