Outboard motors

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyccalo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently discovered this 15hp diesel outboard. They want $2800 for it new and its comes from china. Does anyone have any experience with these?? I've never actually heard of or seen and small diesels like this.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200710-102719_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200710-102719_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 331
I was thinking it probably doesn't have an ARB/CARB rating and wouldn't be legal in California. Then I learned diesel motors have a different set of standards. I don't fully understand them, but again would ask if this motor was compliant.

I assume the net weight shown in in Kilograms which would put it at about 175 pounds. I wonder if a one big cylinder would produce a lot of vibration. Additionally, I wonder how easy it is to get parts or have servicing done. But honestly I know nothing about the motor and can't really help beyond what I would be concerned about.

Diesel outboards are a relatively new thing and show real promise in the larger platforms.

Having said that, no I would not trust that motor.

LDUBS said:
I was thinking it probably doesn't have an ARB/CARB rating and wouldn't be legal in California. Then I learned diesel motors have a different set of standards. I don't fully understand them, but again would ask if this motor was compliant.

I assume the net weight shown in in Kilograms which would put it at about 175 pounds. I wonder if a one big cylinder would produce a lot of vibration. Additionally, I wonder how easy it is to get parts or have servicing done. But honestly I know nothing about the motor and can't really help beyond what I would be concerned about.

I couldnt read the image, but a single cylinder diesel?

Hard pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdfCcQPmkUQ

What would be the advantage of diesel on a 15 hp motor? The gas ones, even 2 stroke , don't use very much fuel.

RaisedByWolves said:
LDUBS said:

I couldnt read the image, but a single cylinder diesel?

Hard pass.

Yeah, one cylinder 92 x 75 mm. Says bore is about 30.4 cu in. (1/2 liter)

Neat concept.. but the weight and being a single cinder turns me off.. not to mention it's pure Chineseium with no dealer support.
Also, did you notice the max rpm of 3800? You would need a 21 pitch prop to get any speed out of it!!

I think I'd let somebody else try it first. One big cylinder stroking back and forth is likely to cause a lot of vibration. I like diesel motors and wouldn't hesitate to put one on a boat - after they work the bugs out.

Out in the ROW (rest of the world) other countries don't have access to gasoline fuel like we do here, where their world runs on diesel. And diesel OBs have been made for 40+ years or more now. Heavy ... yes!

And forget about the RPMs, as what makes OBs run is 'torque' and you won't find any torquier (sp?) motor than a diesel! Gas motors need the RPMs to build up that torque curve.

LDUBS said:
I would guess there is (should be) a higher reliability factor with a diesel vs a gaso outboard.
... unless is was made in .. dare I say, China ...

If they ever get the 'Quality' act together, we're toast! Right now it is as intermittent as the old English company Lucas Electronics who actually invented the intermittent wipers ... as in one day they worked, and the next day they did not :shock: !

LDUBS said:
I would guess there is (should be) a higher reliability factor with a diesel vs a gaso outboard.

Ask anyone who drives a first generation Ram Ecodiesel.. lol

DaleH said:
LDUBS said:
... unless is was made in .. dare I say, China ...

If they ever get the 'Quality' act together, we're toast! Right now it is as intermittent as the old English company Lucas Electronics who actually invented the intermittent wipers ... as in one day they worked, and the next day they did not :shock: !

Yeah, there is that. I remember when Japanese products were considered junk. Now they are sought after.

Latest posts