To add steering console or to leave it as is?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eoseidon

Reaction score
Hey, guys!

I have a 14' V-hull Grumman that is already relatively decked out with a casting platform but one thing that would make it an even more awesome rig is if I could cruise around right next to my SO using a steering console. But is it a good idea to install a steering console on this boat? What are some things that I should consider?

The steering console would be right behind the casting platform, placed as close to center with two light-weight swiveling seats close to each other but with enough space to go through the middle to access the casting platform.

Happy fishing and boating! :)

IMG-1123.jpg

Is the motor adaptable to controls?

Have you priced everything out so you have a good idea of what it will cost you? I would go with Uflex steering & if you need the mount/arm that holds the steering tube to the transom, I have one you could have a $20.

Take a look at the 16‘ hull in my signature, as I put a side console in that boat, Where it was never designed for one, might get you some ideas ... bought the parts cheap on eBay, less the steering bought new.

Consoles aren't common in smaller boats like that because they take up too much room. It can be done, but it often makes for a clumsy arrangement.

Stick steer is preferable, as it takes up very little extra room but still gives you the control of a console. That is what I would do, put two seats on the back bench with controls to either side of the starboard seat if you prefer to sit side by side, weight distribution would probably be better with one seat in the back and another just ahead.

It's usually cheaper to convert a tiller to remote than it is the other way around. You can likely sell the tiller assembly and not have to spend much on the cables and stuff.

DaleH said:
Is the motor adaptable to controls?

Have you priced everything out so you have a good idea of what it will cost you? I would go with Uflex steering & if you need the mount/arm that holds the steering tube to the transom, I have one you could have a $20.

Take a look at the 16‘ hull in my signature, as I put a side console in that boat, Where it was never designed for one, might get you some ideas ... bought the parts cheap on eBay, less the steering bought new.

Your 16' v-hull looks clean!! Beautiful job. I'm looking at a connect rotary steering system, steering wheel, and throttle stick, all brand new for about $300-350. My motor is a brand new 2020 15 HP EFI Mercury, I am assuming it should be adaptable to controls? Thanks so much!

MrGiggles said:
Consoles aren't common in smaller boats like that because they take up too much room. It can be done, but it often makes for a clumsy arrangement.

Stick steer is preferable, as it takes up very little extra room but still gives you the control of a console. That is what I would do, put two seats on the back bench with controls to either side of the starboard seat if you prefer to sit side by side, weight distribution would probably be better with one seat in the back and another just ahead.

It's usually cheaper to convert a tiller to remote than it is the other way around. You can likely sell the tiller assembly and not have to spend much on the cables and stuff.

I've heard of steer stick but never really came across anything useful. How much would it cost and where can I find it? Thanks so much!

Eoseidon said:
MrGiggles said:

I've heard of steer stick but never really came across anything useful. How much would it cost and where can I find it? Thanks so much!

You would need something like this. It will take care of the steering, and you'll also need the outboard control box like you would use for a console.

https://www.boatid.com/ezy-glide/ez-glide-ezy-stik-ii-steering-kit-1516844036.html

It's somewhat common for smaller panfish type boats, although the captains chair is often further up in the boat, close to mid-ship. People like it because you don't need to move around unnecessarily, just pull up and fish.

MrGiggles said:
Eoseidon said:
MrGiggles said:

You would need something like this. It will take care of the steering, and you'll also need the outboard control box like you would use for a console.

https://www.boatid.com/ezy-glide/ez-glide-ezy-stik-ii-steering-kit-1516844036.html

It's somewhat common for smaller panfish type boats, although the captains chair is often further up in the boat, close to mid-ship. People like it because you don't need to move around unnecessarily, just pull up and fish.

Thank you for the link. I checked it out, it looks like it is only 1 stick. Wouldn't I need two separate sticks - one to steer and one to change the speed? This looks like a much more viable option for my boat. Awesome!

GYPSY400 said:
Imo that boat is too small for a console steer

Was thinking the same thing. Would a stick steer be better or I think I might just sell the boat and get a slightly better one...

Eoseidon said:
MrGiggles said:
Eoseidon said:

Thank you for the link. I checked it out, it looks like it is only 1 stick. Wouldn't I need two separate sticks - one to steer and one to change the speed? This looks like a much more viable option for my boat. Awesome!

Yes, you would still need the remote control box for the outboard that handles throttle and gear changes, the same one that would be used for a side console.

There's a guy, I believe from Australia, that made a swing away style console for his boat. He's on YouTube if you do a search. May give you an idea.

If it helps you, I always position the seat for tiller steering at least at the 1/3 away from the starboard gunnel, not centered. Where your OB operating left hand is behind you, that usually allows enough room for someone else to sit next to you.

However that does place an awful lot of weight in the stern of the boat, but with romance being what it is, well there you go ...

I would stay with a tiller with that size boat...free's up a lot of room. Another issue as mentioned is converting from tiller to steering. Might be cheaper to buy another motor set up for steering.
How many miles are you putting on your boat on the lake?

Latest posts