1965 22ft starcraft chieftain

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nottalottayott

Reaction score
20200714_140853.jpg I paid 200 bucks and at this point I have put a cap and rotor a rectifier and fuel lines. It started and runs smooth. The impeller was shot so I bypassed it but it put some water in the oil.the main seal leaks a little as well . I think the baffle plate in the exhaust,intake ,heat exchanger is leaking or something else.I turned on the water before the motor was running and maybe that could be the water issue. I need to get familiar with the motor before I start tearing into it. What a stupid design for that manifold ,its the aluminum model so hopefully it's still good .they are not cheap if you can find one. The motor will have to be pulled to replace the main oil seal. I will have to get creative , a cherrypicker won't lift it high enough . I was thinking of detaching the motor ,lift it a foot or two spin it around and do all the work in the boat. For now I will concentrate on the hull. Floors and bulkhead dash woodwork replacement. I will keep everything as original as possible, but if it can be better materials or craftsmanship it will get modified. If the motor is trash I want to put a diesel in it place .

Pull that boat under a tree and hook yourself up a block and tackle, hoist or come-a-long to a stout tree branch and have at it with the motor.