Removing Plywood from Transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrazyAboutTin

Reaction score
Hello there!
I just inherited this project. 16 " STARCRAFT, 1977, and I am up to the task of removing all the rotten wood in the boat(all of it!) :shock:
I am having trouble removing the the plywood from the aluminum pocket in the transom. It seems the ply is "bonded" to the aluminum by the effect of large salt crystals formed in between the two
I have removed all screws and rivets needed, and still can't remove the ply.
I don't want to destroy the plywood to be able to use it as a template.
Any advice on this matter?
Thanks y'all

16 " STARCRAFT, 1977

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 359
  • boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 359
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 359
  • boat11.jpg
    boat11.jpg
  • deck2.jpg
    deck2.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 359
  • 20210224_185021.jpg
    20210224_185021.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 359
Nice project!

I just re-did a 15' Starcraft Holiday model like that with the splashwell last year - see here: https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47405

Well, it looks like you have all the fasteners and the old scupper drains out ... so to get the wood out ... you need to hit it 'UP', so crawl in under the splashwell, insert a cold chisel or other and hit UP, from both sides. Have someone drive nails into the wood (that just rest on the skin) 'when it is up', so it doesn't drop back down and in.

If I may say so, my post linked has some good details about layout and affixing the new transom and scupper drains et al.

Transom.jpg

I put 2 very long 3/8" lag eye bolts in the transom ran some chain to a 4x4 held up by 2 step ladders. With the rear of the boat hanging in the air several of my friends and myself applied weight to the gunnels. It took a bit but eventually the transom popped out.

Thanks guys!
In general am happy with the purchase. I am going to have to rebuild the entire boat(seats, floors, bulkheads, and everything wood was rotten). Carpet is degraded to the point of disintegration. Electrical system is a royal mess(Romex wire for running lights, etc...But, the motor is a 2011, 75HP Evinrude, that has few hours in it, and the hull is in great shape.
It will be a long process. 8)

I used the chisel option until my shoulders could do no more...It moved up 1/32".
I will try the lifting option this weekend.
I was thinking on pouring water in between the aluminum transom and the ply, to dissolve the salt. Problem is the wood might swell and make things more difficult.
Thanks again.
I will keep you posted

Maybe you could use the outline on the boat as a template. Use either poster board, or cardboard to cut the template out. You could then mark all of your screw holes, etc. That is what I am doing on my Voyager.

Thanks y'all!! I finally did it!
Adopting the "hanging" version, I was able,(after hundreds of blows with a dead blow hammer),to "disengage" the ply from the aluminum transom.
There was about a pound of salt crystals where the ply rests.
The task is done. Now is time to start the rebuilding process.
Thanks again

Latest posts