Transom/New Motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rookie1719

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just would like some advice or tips- I bought a new Suzuki 15hp outboard and it weighs 20-30 lbs more than my previous Merc 8 hp. My boat is rated for 25 hp, my concern is the transom strength- should I be fine since the boat is rated for 25 hp? Or should I try to add some support?

Also- this motor will only be for this boat, I'm done with taking outboards off and putting back on. Has anyone bolted a motor to the boat? I was watching a video and the guy had his 20 hp bolted. Is there any benefits other than theft and making it permanent ?

Thanks in advance, I'm trying to upload photos to show my transom but the website keeps "crashing."

I bolt my motor on. Confidence and not having to worry about a clamp coming loose. Always play with the height before bolting, you may be able to raise the motor a bit and gain some speed up top. I use shims in 1/2" increments to try this. Go up until the prop cavitates. Do turns as well to check. Once you find the limit, back it down until you find the sweet spot. Gps to check speed. As far as the transom, if the wood is good, you should be fine

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

If you drill mounting holes, it is best to coat the IDs with some sealer to reduce water absorption over time.