Delete

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not sand the self etching primer. I would apply a sandible primer from the same manufacturer as the top coat.

Rookie1719 said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I would not sand the self etching primer. I would apply a sandible primer from the same manufacturer as the top coat.

OK so I need to prime the primer?
Yes, different primer for different jobs.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Rookie1719 said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:

OK so I need to prime the primer?
Yes, different primer for different jobs.

Well I'm happy I asked, because I just assumed it was good enough to paint over. So now I need to find a sandible primer from the same brand, which is easy to get. Should I be concern on the amount of self etching I put on? Thanks for the help!

If anyone is reading this looking for information about painting a boat ... CONTACT YOUR LOCAL BODY SHOP/PAINT SHOP!

I’ve spoken to several people over forums and they all told me to “prime” the self etching primer before adding top coat. I contacted 3 body shops + a paint company here in Ontario for advice. They all told me the same... self etching primer can be painted directly over. Scuff with 400-600 wet/dry before adding topcoat. Since my project is just an aluminum boat with no large scratches or dents ... no primer is needed.

I put 3 coats of self etching and scuffed with 400 grit and it’s ready to be painted with any urethane- bcs my boat won’t be staying in the water.

NOTE: check with the brand you use for self etching- yours may say add an additional primer. But the auto self etching I got does NOT need additional primer.

Latest posts