electric tilt trim Y/N?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boohya1

Reaction score
I have a 16' unknown make jon boat I am redoing. Currently has three bench seats. My plan is to convert into a bassboat style set up. I am going to run a 50hp tiller, 109lb trolling motor up front. I plan to start posting pics of the progress once I figure out the deck layouts. But I am debating on getting an electric tilt trim? If I do I will probably go with a Panther, I have read to many bad reviews about CMX breaking.

If I go with the panther it will also set the motor back 7", so should I reinforce the transom? For the transom I am going to be running a 1.5" marine grade plywood with a pvc or plastic liner between the boat and the board, its already laminated to the wood. I got it from smokercraft. Transom will be 55" wide at the top and 20" tall just like the boat sidewalls. I had planned to make some heavier duty corner brackets since the current ones has been cut by a previous owner. Should I go ahead and add a triangle gusset in the middle of the trandom to tie it to the floor?

I would, 50hp is alot of power and newer ones are pretty heavy as well(older ones heavy enough). Transom on my boat is all aluminum and it has 2 gussets going forward, i put my battery between then. Plywood is going to have flex forsure, without bracing. Imo

What make is the motor? I have a 60/45 Mercury jet on my boat and the first year I had it, there was not power tilt/trim so I had to manually tilt it up to lock it in place. I weigh 145 lbs so it usually took me a couple of tries to lean back and tilt it far enough to lock it in. I searched around and found a new power trim setup on Ebay and added it to the motor. So you might be able to find an oem setup for your motor if you look around, then you don't have to worry about the setback.

I don't know anything about CMX. As far as power tilt/trim, besides raising the outboard, PT&T is great to have for trimming the boat out while underway. So my answer would be Yes.

I would definitely put PTT on it. Our Alumacraft Pro 17 has a CMC PTT and jack plate. Tilting an outboard of this size manually just does not work that well. I'm in the process of re-rigging for a Mercury inline-four. The Merc came with PTT. But I took it off because the CMC unit with a jack plate is a much better setup than the factory PTT on the Merc.

20210502_132253.jpg

20210509_190258.jpg

Latest posts