Transom Replacement...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basenjib123

Reaction score
Sandwiching 2 pieces of wood between the aluminum that has rivets and seams results in the wood not sitting flush and allows rocking motion. Would I be ok putting in some nylon spacers where the bolts go to create a small gap thereby creating a space between the wood and the aluminum? Only possible issues that I can think of is this may put more stress on the mounting holes in the aluminum or foregoing the spacers and tightening it down on the uneven surfaces would cause the wood to distort? Perhaps some kind of material sandwiched in there that would conform to the contours and NOT absorb water? I hope this makes sense, Thanks...Joe.

FWIW when I have encountered that, I had used epoxy covered wood. Before apply the epoxy, I found where there was interference by forcing the wood into those features and then used a round-end grinding bit to form a 'divot' in the wood in that area, before applying the epoxy. Once coated, it all fit well.

But IMHO pulling them all together isn't likely to hurt anything either, as long as the transom is through-bolted. I'd make sure whatever you use, that your wood is sealed and that the juncture of the top 'end cap' is sealed well, to prevent water getting trapped between the inside the transom tin skin and the treated wood.

Latest posts