Smoody's Lowe 1448 mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoody

Reaction score
I finally started the modifications to my 1999 Lowe 1448, I had a hour or so today and got the front storage braced, I plan to put my trolling battery in the bow to distribute weight. When finished this will be a catfish rig setup for drifting. The boat had a built in pedestal base so I decided to keep it where it is. I will close in each area on each side of the battery for storage.

Materials purchased at Home Depot
Simpson strong ties 2x2
Stainless steel metal screws 50 ct - $4.57
Wood screws 100 ct - $5.37

First I pulled the ugly burgandy carpet the prior owner put in, I am not going to sand the glue off just plan to lay plywood over it.

I put small pieces of vinyl between the strong ties and ribs on the boat to reduce corrosion. I also dipped the ends of the 2x2's in water sealer prior to installing and will water seal the rest of the framing before I install the plywood.

The boat will be powered by a 1999 Johnson 25HP, I just bought this from an older guy and he says it may have 40 hours on it, it looks really clean inside.

I will update as I progress, mostly will work on it on weekends.

Attachments

• 1448.JPG
    1448.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 2,855
  • 14482.JPG
    14482.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 2,854
  • outboard.JPG
    outboard.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 2,852
  • outboard2.JPG
    outboard2.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 2,852
Here is the latest on my project, I am adding storage on both sides, one will be an 8' rod locker (picture shows 4 rods, possibly could get a few more in it!), the other side I am breaking into different storage area's,one to hold oars and life vest, other for whatever. (yellow line represents where I will divide it.

on the center bench on each side of the livewell lid I will be adding 1/4" Lexan (may not be proper spelling) basically its a plastic material similar to a cutting board and will be used just for that purpose to prepare cut bait, I am going to make them removalable for cleaning.

Any suggestions or issues with my plan thus far?

one thing I would like to know is if it would be ok to leave the carpet on the rear bench and lay plywood over it, the plywood will not actually lay on the carpet since the rod locker extends onto the rear bench I will just frame the entire rear bench with 2x2's.

Thanks

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0824.JPG
    tn_IMG_0824.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,838
  • 2storage.JPG
    2storage.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 2,837
  • rodlocker.JPG
    rodlocker.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 2,839
  • frame.JPG
    frame.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 2,837
looking good, but ya outta find a little more support for that forward battery box, it will weaken the rivets where we see it now, the weight should rest on top of the ribs, you probably were getting round to it, just hate to see somebody cause themselve undo stress. keep up the good work

I love your boat and I love your ideas thus far. I suppose you could leave the carpet on ,and just put the plywood on top of it. Keep up the good work! I'm hoping to get a 1648 sometime in the near future (a year or so). In the mean time, I'm making my little 1436 into a catfishing rig! I'm loving another catman on here!

Oh, I would def. move that pedestal! As a catfisherman, seems like you'd be fishing from the back of the boat or the middle, but either way, in the front like that just seems to put you on the wrong side of the rods when drifting.

Wyatt, thanks for the advice and yes I will have a level platform for that battery box once I get the floors in.

Baptistpreach, catfishing is addictive! I have always been a bass fisherman and still love it, but nothing like fighting a 30+ pound cat in tough current. hold on!

about the pedestal, that is a factory pedestal, and if you noticed by adding the battery storage I also gained another foot of raised decking, that will come in handy when I want to pursue the backyard bass. when cat fishing I'll be at the back of the boat like you mentioned and I left the floors low so myself and a passenger would be fairly low in the boat, I do plan to add pedestal bases in the center of the front and rear floor, that will put me and a passenger right at the bait tank and live well. (center bench) I also have decided against carpet for this mod and probably will be using grizzly grip on the entire inside of the boat. I will have PVC rod holders across the back of the boat for drifting, I think this mod will be super sweet when complete. I do plan to upgrade to a center console Boston Whaler, Polar Kraft or Carolina skiff in the future, all fiberglass and about the best boats for cat fishing. Like you if I had the 16ft Lowe or even the 18ft I would just keep it forever, 14ft is a good easy size to maneuver and haul but the room runs out fast.

Waterwings said:
To avoid rod-tangle in the storage locker, you might want to try some Rod Socks from BPS.
A good rod sock is worth every penny. Saves immense time that you don't realize you could be saving, by really eliminating tangles, and protects the finish on the rod. I personally use Stix Jackets, as I don't like the strap on the BPS rod, but any sock is a lifesaver.

I agree you run out of room fast in a 14 fter! I'm crunching numbers and making plans about a 1652 for the future, but in the mean time, I'm working with what i've got! I also will have a pvc rod holder on the back of the boat for drifting or still fishing, I've got the pvc holders cut out, I just need to determine the best way to make it removable. Are you a member of the boc?

bassboy1 said:
Waterwings said:
To avoid rod-tangle in the storage locker, you might want to try some Rod Socks from BPS.
A good rod sock is worth every penny. Saves immense time that you don't realize you could be saving, by really eliminating tangles, and protects the finish on the rod. I personally use Stix Jackets, as I don't like the strap on the BPS rod, but any sock is a lifesaver.

I plan to make rod tubes using pvc

baptistpreach said:
Are you a member of the boc?

yes i am

Latest posts