16' Monark Mod V Jon - The end of the Road - FOR SALE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ober51

Reaction score
Decided to sell the rig, despite my love for it and how well it runs. Time to move on up to a bigger boat. Please see the want ad section.

Thanks for everyone's help!

-----
Hi All,

So I basically finished what I wanted to do on my first project - and then this boat came along. I got a great deal on this boat (which is a freaking beast construction wise) - $200 for the boat. It isn't perfect, has had some welding done, but seems rock solid. I will definitely Steel Flex this puppy again, maybe even rerivet a couple spots, we'll see about the latter.

Before I left, he asked if I wanted to take a look at an older Johnson/Evinrude he had. I am not a motors guy, but said $50 bucks. I asked for a look, he pulled it out and the cord was stuck. So I said, "I think I'll pass, not sure about compression and whatnot." Haha, I have no idea about anything, just sounded like something I should say. He said, "Well I need to get rid of it, $25?" I was hesitant, then he said, "$20?" In my head I said, "Shoot, for $20, it can't hurt." So for $220, I got a 16' Monark, and a 15 HP 1970s Johnson. Not sure about anything motor-wise, but I will take off the cowling and snap as many pictures as I can. I am hoping for some help on this, where to take it, what you think is wrong, etc. I think I got a good deal?

That's it for now, I will post some pictures later, and let more experienced folks have at it.

Yeah, for 50.00 you could get more than that out of it parting it out on ebay. Wise to take. Nice find. Id risk the gamble

Zum said:
Sounds like you got yourself a nice deal.Waiting on the pictures.

Ask and ye shall receive, Zum.

The transom obviously needs to be replaced. There was a good weld on the keel (I think that's the proper term?), but looks very good upon close inspection. Definitely Steel Flexing the bottom to ensure complete seal. Here are some pics.

I also just measured the width, 60" across at the back. 45" on the floor on the back (the 14' shallow v I had was 45 at its widest at the top, so this is much wider).

So that little drain plug that you see, do I need a bilge pump once I throw that in? It's good for now, since the boat is stored outdoors, but once I get her in the water, what do I do with that? Silly, novice question, but I think it's important, ha.

Anything else you see? The ribs go all the way up the side, so it looks very solid (a few were welded).

Attachments

• P4260011 (Custom).JPG
    P4260011 (Custom).JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 19,164
  • P4260012 (Custom).JPG
    P4260012 (Custom).JPG
    21 KB · Views: 19,161
  • P4260015 (Custom).JPG
    P4260015 (Custom).JPG
    28 KB · Views: 19,168
Zum said:
Nice looking boat,high sided...is the stern about 15 or 20 inches?

I just went out and measured - it is 16" from the bottom to the top of the transom. The deepest part of the boat, more near the bow, is 21".

Anyone have any recommendations on a boat cover? I have been looking at Cabelas and whatnot, but thought I'd ask here first?

I have a boat very similiar to yours. I am curious to see how you modify this one. I am in the early stages of my project, as I just got my hands on the boat this weekend. The previous owner has removed all the benches out, so I have a little different layout. I am looking forward to seeing more pics.

wiudavis said:
I have a boat very similiar to yours. I am curious to see how you modify this one. I am in the early stages of my project, as I just got my hands on the boat this weekend. The previous owner has removed all the benches out, so I have a little different layout. I am looking forward to seeing more pics.

Awesome. Do you have a link to your mod? I am going to be doing a lot of prepping and what not. I was going to powerwash tomorrow to just clear the debris out. But the mods will be a long process I bet. I have limited time over the next few weeks, but will try my best to make some progress. Not sure if I will be full out modding at first, or just making it look nice for this year.

ober51 said:
wiudavis said:

Awesome. Do you have a link to your mod? I am going to be doing a lot of prepping and what not. I was going to powerwash tomorrow to just clear the debris out. But the mods will be a long process I bet. I have limited time over the next few weeks, but will try my best to make some progress. Not sure if I will be full out modding at first, or just making it look nice for this year.

Here is a link to a few pictures. I cleaned all of the old decking and debris out of her this weekend, but I don't have any new pictures. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8191

So I flooded the boat today and sat back for a bit and found some leaks. A whole bunch of slowly leaking rivets and a leaky weld.

I know there is a topic on leaky rivets, so I won't ask too many questions here. I am guessing I should bang some of them together, and re-flood the boat? How about the leaky weld? Do I need to weld that again? I was hoping it was leak-free, but what can I expect from a few decades old, $200 boat?

I really don't want to rerivet, but if I had to, what kind would I use? This boat is definitely getting a coat of Steel Flex, as it will ease my mind that much more when I am out there.

Any suggestions overall?

So I have started to think about ways in which to shorten the prep time for this 16 footer. I came across EFS-2500 an airplane paint stripper/remover. Has anyone heard of it? They don't have a price, but I am going to likely purchase a gallon - as their testimonials indicate this is real deal remover. Regular stripper just didn't get it done last time, and it just took too long.

Here is the link: https://www.m-tc.com/efs2500_information.htm

ober51 said:
So I have started to think about ways in which to shorten the prep time for this 16 footer. I came across EFS-2500 an airplane paint stripper/remover. Has anyone heard of it? They don't have a price, but I am going to likely purchase a gallon - as their testimonials indicate this is real deal remover. Regular stripper just didn't get it done last time, and it just took too long.

Be sure and let us know what a gallon of that costs and how well it works. I might be interested too.

wiudavis said:
ober51 said:

Be sure and let us know what a gallon of that costs and how well it works. I might be interested too.

They never even got back to me, kinda angry that they didnt even call me once I requested a quote. Oh well, I guess I will try again.

Just called, its $65 a gallon.

I went to a NAPA and they had aircraft stripper. It is supposed to take it all off clean instead of having to scrape of gummy layers. It was $50 a gallon so I did not buy any. Elbow grease is not as fast, but it works.

Stryker777 said:
I went to a NAPA and they had aircraft stripper. It is supposed to take it all off clean instead of having to scrape of gummy layers. It was $50 a gallon so I did not buy any. Elbow grease is not as fast, but it works.

Yeah, I know, that's what I did with my 14 footer. But I would like to maybe shave off, oh say, 30 hours, lol.

Just went over to Advanced Auto and bought some Tal-Strip, heard good things about it. I want to strip the bottom portion of the hull to apply steel flex to a completely bare surface. As for the rest of the hull, elbow grease should do it - just going to scuff it up well, prime and paint.

Weather isn't great, and won't be for a while (need a bunch of nice days in a row to really get into this thing), so I decided to rip out the transom. It was half waterlogged, and had all sorts of critters behind it. Glad I did that.

I am just thinking about ripping out the second to last bench seat. I don't think it should be a problem, given the thickness of the aluminum, the ribs that extend all the way up the side, and putting some more flotation foam back in to make up for the material lost in the seat. Any suggestions?

How do I take out the riveted seats? Do I just drill into the rivets? I read that here, but a little more information would be great before I screw anything up!

Latest posts