My 1436... or wait.. 1432 mod

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

I've done some research and I'm going with Bright red Pettit Topside Easypoxy, and I'm just going to hope it doesnt blister on the bottom.

I still need to find a good self etching primer, and I really have no idea where to start. I'm looking to get it from HD to save on shipping costs. I also need to find the correct thinner to allow me to spray the topside paint thru a gun.

The interior will be done with the off brand etching primer and rustoleum semi gloss black. I'm hoping this stuff will last, but its cheap so its not a big deal if I need to touch it up once in a while.

I'm hoping to keep this whole process as cheap as possible, so we'll see what happens after I get the old paint off tomorrow or the next day.

ober51

Post by ober51 »

dyeguy1212 wrote:I've done some research and I'm going with Bright red Pettit Topside Easypoxy, and I'm just going to hope it doesnt blister on the bottom.

I still need to find a good self etching primer, and I really have no idea where to start. I'm looking to get it from HD to save on shipping costs. I also need to find the correct thinner to allow me to spray the topside paint thru a gun.

The interior will be done with the off brand etching primer and rustoleum semi gloss black. I'm hoping this stuff will last, but its cheap so its not a big deal if I need to touch it up once in a while.

I'm hoping to keep this whole process as cheap as possible, so we'll see what happens after I get the old paint off tomorrow or the next day.
Here are a couple options for self-etch primer:

https://www.duplicolor.com/products/primer.html --> Where to Buy: Advanced Auto Parts, AutoZone, NAPA, O'Reilly, and more. Usually runs about 6-7 bucks a can. I saw it at Advanced near me, which is what I will be buying. I used like 5 cans, the bigger ones too, for the top half of the hull (inside and out). But that wasn't Duplicolor, it was something else from NAPA called TECnique professional car care self etching primer. I'd use Duplicolor next because I hated the spray part for TEC.

https://www.moellermarine.com/aftermarke ... s/primers/ --> Where to buy: WestMarine; more expensive, but I have heard good things about Moeller.

https://www.rwmallon.com/catalog.asp?pro ... prevnext=1

I think Duplicolor might be the best bet around me, but call around, they will let you know how much it costs.
Current Rig: 1996 17' Tracker Targa
1997 60 HP Mariner
1987 8 HP Johnson

------

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

Thanks for the tip ober... I'll check out a few of those places and see what they've got

I just spent the past 2 hours wire wheeling... I got the transom and one side almost done.... soooo time consuming

but I buddy from high school randomly called me today and asked if I wanted to go fishing, so looks like I'm taking a break to go out on his 94 tracker...

ober51

Post by ober51 »

dyeguy1212 wrote:Thanks for the tip ober... I'll check out a few of those places and see what they've got

I just spent the past 2 hours wire wheeling... I got the transom and one side almost done.... soooo time consuming

but I buddy from high school randomly called me today and asked if I wanted to go fishing, so looks like I'm taking a break to go out on his 94 tracker...
Yeah, and then you should tell him that you have some great brews...and get him to wire wheel with you. After all, goes much quicker with two guys doing it.
1997 60 HP Mariner
1987 8 HP Johnson

------

cubanredneck

Post by cubanredneck »

Check out NAPA autoparts for the etching primer and if the paint is good just scuff use the etching primer were you went down to metal then prime and paint no need to get all paint off.

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

I actually do need to get all the paint off though, because this stuff chips off if you look at it the wrong way. I'd prefer to start with a clean slate if I'm going to spend all this money and time.

In other news, I'm one of the few Michiganders to get hired this summer [-o< ... got a 3 night a week job doing janitorial stuff... 100 bucks a week... thatll pay for some marine carpet!

Cheeseball

Post by Cheeseball »

Stripping the paint shouldn't be to bad on the outside of the boat if the paint is as bad as you say it is. Should come off in sheets. Get some plastic scrapers and scrape away. It doesn't take too long. Get some old socks that you're going to throw away anyway. You know the five or six singles that don't have a mate just sitting in your sock drawer. Use them to stuff the scraped paint into. They make great little toxic sausages. Then you can dispose of the nasty stuff in a manner that is more friendly to our fish friends (and the guy who has to clean the power washing stalls).

Also, you'll need a jug of Acetone to do a wipe down after your done stripping and before you begin painting.

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

Toxic sausages... got it!

I actually tried a little bit we had laying around the house, and it worked pretty darn good. I'll pick some more up tomorrow, but I think I'll keep putting it in the brown paper bags haha

Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

If I remember right the clean strip can said the stuff is harmless once it dries.

A bunch of 3m Scotchbrite pads work wonders too. Just do small 1'x2' sections and keep them wet. Lucky you can even tilt the boat to keep the working sections level. Poor me had arm ache for weeks from scraping and scrubbing upside down.

Jamie

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

Burned up my last wire wheel today... all I have left is the interior and the bottom. I CANT WAIT to be done with this phase... im so sick of aluminum dust in my contacts...

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

Alright! Stripping is done other than the ribs (need a new wire wheel to hit them good) and then its on to fixing the holes and cutting out the middle seat top for storage..

I got one of those 3M wheel and they are a life saver.. used one up in about 4 hours tho. Once I switched to a new one, it took my about half the time as before. End result, great 20 bucks spent.

Cheeseball

Post by Cheeseball »

dyeguy1212 wrote:Burned up my last wire wheel today... all I have left is the interior and the bottom. I CANT WAIT to be done with this phase... im so sick of aluminum dust in my contacts...
Ah, stripping the inside as well. Now the fun begins.

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

Okay all done stripping!

I now need to cut the hole in the front bench and remove the foam, and figure out what the heck primer to get. The only self etching stuff at HD is paintbomb style, so I guess I'll have to blow the big bucks on that. I also need to get a cutting wheel for my 4in grinder, because my old one disappeared....

Here at the pics as she stands. Solid paint was left on the bottom because it will be covered by rustoleum, rubberized undercoating, foam insulation, and then decking. The rest is pretty darn flawless.

I used fiberglass bondo to fill in the holes, and it seems really solid. Its not the easiest to work with (because of the strands) but I think it will get the job done. And for anyone wondering, yes its like regular fiberglass, and I'm dying to take a shower to get the itchiness to quit!

Any comments welcome! I'll post up more pics when I get the priming done. (Not sure if I mentioned this, but pettit topside red will be used to the outside, and semigloss black rustoleum will be used on the inside)
Attachments
Boat3.jpg
Boat2.jpg
Boat1.jpg

poolie

Post by poolie »

Nicely done!
I drink coffee so I can do dumb things faster!
** Alumacraft 1442 **

ober51

Post by ober51 »

It's hard to appreciate those pics unless you've done it yourself, so great job. Now comes the fun part - paint transforms a boat.
1997 60 HP Mariner
1987 8 HP Johnson

------