Front Deck Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbw

Reaction score
Goal: Build front deck from front seat to middle seat. Storage for one battery and baits.

Boat: 1987 Grunman 14 x 38 inch bottom

Supplies:

2x2 wood boards
Simpson Strong tie # rtb22 (I could only find these at home depot)
8x3/4 Self Tapping metal screws
Wood Screws
*will add more later

I'm using the Strong ties to connect the wood to the boats ribs (I'm surprised how strong they are once connected I can stand on one). Once I have all of the stringers installed I'll connect them together.

Current waiting on my drill's battery pack to recharge!

normal_DSC_00061551resize.JPG

normal_DSC_00111556resize.JPG

Okay I'm calling it a night ran out of brackets! Off to Home depot in the morning. Starting to link them all together!

normal_DSC_00021559resize.JPG

If you look at the photo above, in the center of the stringers the previous person cut a tunnel under the middle seat! I'm thinking of boxing this in with some tin or wood/plastic and making a rod holder it could hold 7 ft 2inch of rods!

normal_DSC_00051562resize.JPG

normal_DSC_00041561resize.JPG

Below trying to see how much reinforcing to do for the seat mount.

normal_DSC_00081565resize.JPG

Jim said:
Thanks for doing the build in progress picture taking. =D> This will for sure help others out.

That is my internal goal! When I found tinboats.net I was looking for how-to and ways to do this. I just found a few photos of finished boats with maybe one in progress photo. So! I'm try to document this and then in the end video how stable the boat is after all this.

If I'm doing something wrong or you know a better way let me know. Or If you wonder how I'm doing something let me know I already have two questions I'm going to answer after lunch.

As an afterthought of my previous post, is there any flotation foam in the boat? If not, maybe you could section-off/use the port/stbd sides under the new deck to fill with foam. Probably wouldn't add any noticable weight all all.

Waterwings said:
As an afterthought of my previous post, is there any flotation foam in the boat? If not, maybe you could section-off/use the port/stbd sides under the new deck to fill with foam. Probably wouldn't add any noticable weight all all.

Only a little under the seats! I'm thinking about doing that, there will be several good places for this when I get the decking structure finished.

Waterwings said:
Cool! I would think that the spray-in foam insulation made for sealing cracks at home would work well, as it's high-expansion and would fill-up a void pretty good.
Be cheaper to buy some of the 2 part marine foam, and mix and pour it. Priced it out before. Plus, some people say that insulation foam is an open cell, which would absorb water, but I haven't checked that.

bassboy1 said:
Be cheaper to buy some of the 2 part marine foam, and mix and pour it. Priced it out before. Plus, some people say that insulation foam is an open cell, which would absorb water, but I haven't checked that.

Good point. Not sure if it's open or closed-cell foam either.

Update!

Got some more work done this morning, changed some of the braces around, getting ready to go pickup our new mattress :shock: be back later.

normal_DSC_00121578resize.JPG

normal_DSC_00111577resize.JPG

normal_DSC_00101576resize.JPG

normal_DSC_00021568resize.JPG

Its slow moving but progress is moving!

pbw said:
Update!

Got some more work done this morning, changed some of the braces around, getting ready to go pickup our new mattress :shock: be back later.
Its slow moving but progress is moving!

Your're putting a mattress in the boat to!? Just kidding! :wink:

Progress is lookin' good! :)

i like what your doing there. you going to have 1 heck of a casting deck when your done...

you gonna use 3/4 in plywood for the deck? i ended up using 3/4" treated and man its heavy. if yo are garage keeping it, you may be able to get away with non-treated cut down on the weight alot

mtnbasser said:
you gonna use 3/4 in plywood for the deck? i ended up using 3/4" treated and man its heavy. if yo are garage keeping it, you may be able to get away with non-treated cut down on the weight alot
Don't use pressure treated anyway. Certain kinds react with aluminum, and cause the aluminum to corrode real quickly. Use the furniture grade (no knots on the outside plys) and coat it with some sort of water sealer, or oil based paint.

bassboy, i want aware of treated lumber corroding aluminium. I have had treated on my rig for 5 or 6 years with no vissible corrosion.[/quote]

mtnbasser said:
bassboy, i want aware of treated lumber corroding aluminium. I have had treated on my rig for 5 or 6 years with no vissible corrosion.
Not all do. But, it is not worth taking the chance. Plus, the water sealer on the regular ply is lighter.

I really don't know what kind of plywood to use. I went last night thinking I would get 5/8 plywood but I've never paid any attention to all the types of plywood.

I would use OSB board but some things scare me from it...

No updates today end up driving my father-in-laws truck to pickup a dining room table. So much for picking up plywood in it! Tomorrow I'll be back on track!

Latest posts