Front Deck Build

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
Waterwings

Post by Waterwings »

bassboy1 wrote:I wish it would rain here. :cry:
Sprinkled for a bit today, but that is the extent of it. 'twas 80 degrees this past Sunday.
80 degrees! :shock: . Still drizzling rain here off & on, but the temp did reach 49! :)
Image1652VT RoughneckImageCarrot Stix LTX

Waterwings

Post by Waterwings »

pbw wrote:Ta dah! I'm off to lowes to get plywood, nice day plus I've borrowed my father-in-laws truck. 8)
Cool! Time to make some sawdust! :)

bassboy1
Site Sponsor

Post by bassboy1 »

Waterwings wrote:
bassboy1 wrote:I wish it would rain here. :cry:
Sprinkled for a bit today, but that is the extent of it. 'twas 80 degrees this past Sunday.
80 degrees! :shock: . Still drizzling rain here off & on, but the temp did reach 49! :)
Earlier this week, our high was 40. Oh, I HATED that. now, we are back up in the high 60s. Drizzling on and off here. We need a lot more though. We are short about 25 inches this year. My home lake, which is a large hydroelectric reservoir, is about 6 feet below winter pool, and winter pool is 17 feet below full pool. All the ramps were made to stop at winter pool, as the lake was never designed to go lower.

pbw

Post by pbw »

Two sheets of 3/4 inch plywood is now resting in the garage. I'm getting up super early tomorrow morning.
PBW

Waterwings

Post by Waterwings »

:) Drink some coffee first before you light-off the power tools! Don't want to be groggy, especially when using the ones with blades! :shock:

pbw

Post by pbw »

I drank some redbull!

Got my template made yesterday, had some other things I had to work on after that. Today I hope to start cutting plywood.
PBW

Waterwings

Post by Waterwings »

pbw wrote:I drank some redbull!

Got my template made yesterday, had some other things I had to work on after that. Today I hope to start cutting plywood.
Sounds good! Continue documenting the build with pics. You've got a good "how-to" going! :)

pbw

Post by pbw »

I'm back in action in the garage.....

First I made a template using OSB board its cheap and its same thickness as my plywood.

Then using my OSB template I transfered the design onto my ext. pin 3/4 plywood.

Then I put back on all my safety equipment... glasses, ear plugs, and a lucky Cubs hat.

Cutting was done with jig saw....

Then while checking for level I noticed my front step of alum on the boat is completely unlevel.

Back out to the garage to finish the back piece.
PBW

Waterwings

Post by Waterwings »

Looks good! :)

Everyone needs a lucky cap! :lol: . You have heat in your garage? Mine is about 30 degrees right now! :shock:

pbw

Post by pbw »

https://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=5131258

I've got two of these going full steam! I only have two outside facing walls. Its about 61-64 in my garage now.
PBW

pbw

Post by pbw »

Okay Progress. Finished cutting decking for today.

Before Screwing it down need the following...

Wiring (unsure where to purchase this (probably car audio store) think I'm going to run 4 gauge to trolling motor, and 10 to fish finder, then 10 to lights. I can't decided where to put wiring controls and fuses.

Foam may wait till spring its not going to be warm enough.

Need to box in my storage boxes.

PBW

Waterwings

Post by Waterwings »

Nice! We go out to the garage to have a cigarette (don't smoke in the house anymore), and it's a bit chilly out there! Makes you smoke quicker, lol. Come warm weather, the boat goes back in the garage :)

Waterwings

Post by Waterwings »

pbw wrote:Okay Progress. Finished cutting decking for today.

Before Screwing it down need the following...

Wiring (unsure where to purchase this (probably car audio store) think I'm going to run 4 gauge to trolling motor, and 10 to fish finder, then 10 to lights. I can't decided where to put wiring controls and fuses.

Foam may wait till spring its not going to be warm enough.

Need to box in my storage boxes.

Not quite sure, but I think you could use 6 gage wire to the tm. I'm sure someone on here can add their input just to be sure.

bassboy1
Site Sponsor

Post by bassboy1 »

6 should get you plenty. Many times, the factory lead, going to the plug on the TM is 8 gauge. Unless the run is a real long one, 6 shouldn't kill ya. As far as wiring, you could have picked it up at Lowes when you went yesterday. They sell it by the foot there (and, their pricing is usually better than HD on bulk wire). 6 gauge wire is 6 gauge wire, no matter what application it is used for. You will need a large crimper. We usually borrow the ones from dads shop. You might be able to get by with a large pair of lineman's pliers, but don't hold me on that. Or, you could get all screw connectors, and do away with the crimper all together. As far as where to put controls, and fuses, the controls should be where you plan to be the most. In the past, we have put all our fuses right before the unit. But, in our next build, we will probably have a fuse box, with all the fuses in one central location. If you have a set location for your battery, I would place all the switches near there, or you have a lot of extra wiring, and therefor current loss. No need for the wiring to go from the battery in the bow, to the stern control box, back to the bow lights, or vica versa. If you don't have a set place for the battery, the location of the control panel will determine battery placement. I have heard that getting a piece of plexiglass, and painting the backside black, then mounting all your switches in it, makes a great looking fuse panel.

pbw

Post by pbw »

My wiring concern is should I run one big wire to the front, then break it out to run my tm and fish finder. I don't want to cause any noise on the fish finder wiring.
PBW