First time hunting...Success!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowWalker

Reaction score
I finally got into a hunter safety class this summer and got my license. I went out squirrel hunting on public land last Thursday. I wasn't really expecting a lot cause it was my first time and all, but I just wanted to get out and learn a few of the public areas for other upcoming seasons. I got one, saw a few others but the undergrowth is pretty thick so I passed on them because I wasn't sure I'd be able to find them.

Picture is obviously after I got home and changed. I went out by myself and had no one to take pictures of me.

The tool was my 12 gauge Benelli Supernova. Very few public lands up this way allow the use of anything other than shotgun.

Attachments

• SAM_0167.jpg
    SAM_0167.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,321
Congrats on a first. That looks like a nice red. Squirrel is my favorite thing to hunt...I have always hunted them with a shotgun myself.

Good job on your first kill. =D> =D> =D>
My first memories hunting is with my dad squirrel hunting with the old farm dog. Seemed like we'd walk for miles and miles, though it wasn't that far. Good times.
Nowadays I take my olded son with me, who is 6, and we go check deer stands and look for rub and scrape lines. My weapon of choice is an old Savage 24 over/under (.22 and 20 gauge).

Congrates, now go get you one of these....

4493369800_b4e1f9cca5_z.jpg

Spoon River west of Peoria is open for 22's and Lowden-Miller south of Oregon is open for the month of sept.

Squirrel hunting is a lot of fun. And the Benelli, your weapon of choice is good shotgun. My first shotgun was a bolt action .410. Loved hunting Squirrels with it. When My dad used to take us out when we were kids we had a blast. He used a .22 savage and would always out shoot me and my brother. I can remeber him taking 7 squirrels out of one tree using a squirrel caller. He dropped me and my brother Roger off on a fence line with one of us on each side. He then parked down at the end and we walked to him. We walked down the line, I think I shot 2 or three and Roger shot about the same. When we made it to the truck we heard a "Pop". My dad was sitting on the tailgate and said "Go get them squirrels from under that tree." I went over to the tree and found the area littered with squirrels. He sat their calling them up to this one big pecan tree and slaughtered them. I later learned to use a caller that day.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Spoon River west of Peoria is open for 22's and Lowden-Miller south of Oregon is open for the month of sept.
Good to know, although they are a bit of a drive for me. I may have to make the trip anyways. I have a 10/22 I bought in June I haven't even shot yet. :(

About 4 hours, but it would be an easy detour on the way down to my grandmas in Leitchfield, KY. I don't think they'd like me hunting the city park though 8)

ShadowWalker said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Good to know, although they are a bit of a drive for me. I may have to make the trip anyways. I have a 10/22 I bought in June I haven't even shot yet. :(
They are a bit of a drive for me too. I wish more of Illinois public hunting land was open to rimfires.

my first choice is a 410 also. but I currently use a savage 93R17 .17Horandy now. Thumbhole stock, bull barrel. Fun to play with.

Latest posts