Concealed Carry

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSimon

Reaction score
Anyone carry?

I just filled out the paperwork to get my permit, but still need to drop it off at the county building.

I also just got a Ruger LCP 380. Awesome little pocket gun. Love it!!

LC9 a lot of the time. My work doesn't allow for it, but most everywhere else i go, it rides along.

I don't but plan to when I get a glock 27 or S&W M&P .40 compact as my back up duty weapon. Just got to find where the money is hiding so I can buy one. Did you have to take a class? In SC you have to take a day class and qualify shooting I believe

Awesome! I love hearing that people are carrying.

In PA all you have to do is fill out a form, pay $20, and not be a criminal.

In MO you have to take an 8 hour class and then pass a shooting test. You cannot have any felonies or domestic violence charges either. Pretty simple process.

I'll be honest, the main reason I got my concealed carry is for fishing trips. One time a guy shot a goose with a pellet gunthat was too close to his dock. I felt he was shooting over my head at me when I fished his dock, but couldn't prove it. I also bank fish an area with many homeless and other 'interesting' people in a downtown area. I've seen people bathing, kids being scoped out, peoples gear try to be snagged, etc. Had a guy set off fireworks behind me one day, just to be a jerk. None of these are worth pulling a gun, but I feel a bit safer knowing I could defend myself if the need arose. I think first I'd jump in the river though!

My college roommate and his brother were attacked when fishing - some wanna-be gang members had an initiation and had to kill a guy, so they chose those two. In the initial attack, as they were carrying their jon boat to lauch, the gang kids broke his brothers arm. But my roomy who played semipro baseball, grabbed an oar and started swinging. He evened the odds quickly, thank God they didn't try to use more than a knife in their attack. Sad thing was, his firearm was in the car because he didn't want to make his brother nervous.

Last week a friend and I went fishing to the 'dead goose' lake. Fishing was slow and we got to talking, turns out he had his cc on him too. About 30 rounds and fairly accurate shooters -I would definitly pity anyone who tried to mess with us that day!

I just placed a bid on a CC today. My current is 5" auto so not ideal to carry. When I'm on a road trip like Mike, or out too late It will come with but for the most part it is my home defense weapon.

Tonite, 9p I could be the semi proud owner of a p3at. Would have preferred a Smith airweight but I keep spending all my money on boats.. :roll:

I carried several guns in my 30 years of law enforcement, ended up with the Glock 22 .40 S&W for the last 10 years. Carried it after retirement, but ended up leaving it in the car most of the time cause of size. Carried a Mauser hsc .380 off duty and after retirement. Going to sell that. Also had a pocket .25 for shorts/t-shirt weather. Sold two Colt Pythons, a 4" and a 2 1/2", going to sell the Mauser and .25 now too. Gave my son the Glock cause I promised him it was his when I didn't want it anymore.

So, I bought the Ruger LCP .380 for summer carry and the Ruger LC9 9mm for winter. Not like the Glock .40, but the 9mm is the same size as the Mauser .30 and the LCP .380 is the same size as the old .25 I carry in my pocket. For personal protection, they'll be fine - not a cop anymore so don't really need the stopping power/number of rounds nor distance shooting I needed on the job. Not going to be shooting anything except up very close for personal protection - ha, I hope???
BTW, Illinois is only one of two states that doesn't have some sort of concealed carry, along with Wisconsin, but I think I hear WI is now authorizing some form of CC carry?? Since I'm retired LE, I can carry anywhere in the US under Federal rules :)

WI just got concealed carry in November of 2011. There are already over 100,000 of us authorized!

The requirements are a training course or an approved hunter education course. There are several other methods to qualify, but these are the main two.
You know what? Nobody has been shot at a bar yet. A guy did carry illegally in Aldi, and shot a shotgun wielding robber when the robber pointed the gun at him. Aldi and the attorneys declined to press charges.

I still haven't filed the paperwork for my CC permit, but I figured it can't hurt to get ready :wink: :wink:

So I bought this little holster from Amazon for $15 plus free shipping. It had good reviews, but I'm not sure I like it. Its a nice little holster, but it isn't specifically designed for the LCP ... its just a generic pocket gun holster.

I suppose it will be fine, but I'm wondering if I should get a higher quality holster that is molded for an LCP. Any thoughts?

61BDHg413rL._SS500_.jpg

I carry every single day regardless of what I am doing. My go to carry gun most of the time is my Gen. 3 Glock 27. Little bit wide for some applications but I deal with that in exchange for protection! Once you get used to wearing a gun everywhere...you feel naked with out it!

I usually carry. Most of the time, it's a little North American Arms revolver in 22 WMR, as it's the least bulky, which means I'm most likely to carry it. Reload time really sucks with this gun, as you have to take the cylinder out to reload it. Also, with its extremely short barrel and sight radius, it's not the most accurate pistol, either. However, I can put 5 shots in the head on a B-27 at 10 yards with it, so, that's good enough for me.

But, if 5 to the dome on one bad guy, or 1 in the dome of 5 bad guys.... doesn't solve the problem, then, I've obviously gotten myself into a real fix, and it's time to go for the truck gun, the SKS side-folder with a chopped down 16" barrel, with a 30 round mag, then an extra 30 rounder, both loaded with Norinco yellow box (steel core) ammo. (And if you think that's heavy firepower for a truck, you should see my house. In every room, there is a weapon stashed, ready to go)

Another favorite carry gun I have is a Colt Mustang Pocketlite in 380. Again, a minimal caliber for self-defense, but the first rule is to have a gun.

The second rule...although not mentioned often enough, is to know how to use that gun with extreme proficiency, including under stress... and make well-placed shots that will incapacitate an attacker. A good stressor is competitive shooting, or, if you feel froggy, get some airsoft or paintball guns and do some force-on-force training with some buddies.

Think airsoft or paintball is for kids? Don't laugh. You'd be surprised how bad the hit ratio drops off in a simulated firefight, even for an experienced marksman....it can drop to as much as a 20% hit ratio for the number of rounds expended.

Paper targets and steel poppers do not fire back. While marksmanship training is a good thing, it still does not replicate the stress level of force-on-force training. If you can get to a point where you can perform with even a 50% hit ratio in a simulated firefight, you've got a better chance of walking away alive from the real thing.

And as for the marksmanship training...try some 100 yard shots with your handgun, with iron sights... (no cheating with scopes or lasers!)

What is the purpose of this, you ask. Simple.

Refer to the 20% hit ratio in a firefight.

OK, this means that if you can hit a 6 inch steel plate at 100 yards with your handgun, not under stress from being shot at.....then, when you factor in that 80% reduction in the hit ratio during a firefight, that means your max effective range drops to 20 yards.

Conversely, some people that carry have trouble holding a group at just 10 yards. What happens when TSHTF? You don't want to be following that guy into a firefight, much less into a dimly lit barn.

Just a little food for thought......

Use to have a Ruger Super Black Hawk 44 mag. Loved the gun but not ideal for a concealed weapon as it was so long. Did great for hunting though.

Got my Utah license about two years ago, then WI dated four days after it became legal-- #623! Like many people, I decided I would NOT be a victim, and had a responsibility to protect my family, although my Redhead has a permit as well. Not much crime here-- like the person posting from the Smokies (GO Vols!), but many of the locations mentioned in the news are the same way. Unfortunately, in the society we have today, there are entirely too many gomers. Would not like to have to use the handgun, but certainly would if forced to do so.
Weapon of choice? Taurus 9 mm! (Redhead had to buy a new gun, 'cause she couldn't conceal the 44 mag S&W)

Latest posts