if you had to choose 3 rifles...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craveman85

Reaction score
Lets say for some reason or another you can only have 3 rifles not including rimfire for the rest off your life. What would be your 3 calibers be and what rifles. I'll start.
#1. .243 win in Remington 700. I can hunt varmints and deer. Its relatively cheap and fun to shoot. It was also my first rifle I purchased.
#2. Remington model 721 in .300 h&h mag. I pick this up next week. Can handle any thing in north America without issues and has less recoil and a longer barrel life than .300 win. Can be loaded with every weight of .308 cal bullet
#3 .375 h&h mag. Can take any land animal with the right bullet and properly placed shot. I currently have this in a ruger no. 1 but someday I'll have this in a Holland and Holland double rifle.

Don't need 3, only need 1, a 308. I can take anything that walks North America. I can load it light and fast (110 gr bullets) I can load it medium (150 gr) or I can load it heavy (200 gr) what more could you ask for???
As for the rifle, a Remington 700 action in a composite stock with a good 3x9x40 optic and you're set to go.....

1. 30-30 or .35 remington in marlin 336 lever action (which I already have)

2. .243 winchester in remington 700 adl (which I already have)

3. .223 ruger mini 14 for the zombie apocalypse (WIAH)

and of course an assortment of .22lr. If I could only choose 1 pistol or rifle, it would be a ruger 10-22

Tim

I'm in whitetail country. I have, but don't need, three variations of basically the same caliber:
7.62x51, 7.62x54, and 30-06 (which is arriving whenever a friend drops it off.) All MBR calibers. 7.62x51 with two lug mauser action, 7.62x54 Mosin Nagant 44, and really don't know about the '06. Friend needed money and wouldn't take a loan, so....

Never really used the Win 94 I had, and the 7.62x51 is all I've ever needed up here. Shots are mostly 100-225 yards over open fields as the deer feed in early morning. The WWII calibers all shoot pretty much the same to my way of thinking. Got the Mosin-Nagant because they were giving them away and back when I bought it, FMJ rounds were of negligible cost. Shoot the first two over open sites, although the x51 can be turned into a Scout format simply by putting a 2.3x Leupold back on it. Think the 06 will come with a cheap scope...dunno.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324033#p324033 said:
Bailey Boat » Today, 07:03[/url]"]Don't need 3, only need 1, a 308. I can take anything that walks North America. I can load it light and fast (110 gr bullets) I can load it medium (150 gr) or I can load it heavy (200 gr) what more could you ask for???
As for the rifle, a Remington 700 action in a composite stock with a good 3x9x40 optic and you're set to go.....
************************************************************************************************

Ding, Ding, Ding!!! We have a winna!
A Remington 700BDL, composite stock, full-floated........ahhh, hell.....just give me the military sniper rifle setup.

I'll admit, though, I do like my AR in .223, but that may just be due to 21 years in a combination of active and Nat'l Guard.
Yeah, I think a .22 rimfire, something in a .22-.25 centerfire, and a .308/7.62 NATO chambering.

Roger

Marlin 883 .22 Mag for the small stuff

Remington 700 .270 for the bigger stuff

Sako TRG 42 .338 Lapua for anything else I get a hankerin to tip over, near or far

My 22-250 Rem 700 Composite Thumbhole, vented, fluted. Nasty critter gun.

My .270 Browning A-Bolt

My .338 Win Mag.

My bench or blind rifle is a FNH AR 308 Hvy fluted barrel with a Trijicon 4-20? X56 soon to be supressed .
My brush gun is a Marlin 44 mag. open sights .
My Yote gun is a Rem 700 hvy barreled 22-250 fitted with a nikon Monach 4-12? X50

458 Mag just in case I'm elephant hunting in Illinois.
35 Remington.
270wsm B/C I bought 2 boxes for one dollar each and there was a $5.00 a box rebate.

I'd take my bolt action .22lr Springfield MII, for small game.

My fine tuned Rem 700 in .300 Win Mag for the rest of the legged game.

And the ole school AR, like GTS225 said, once you learn a firearm well enough that it is instinct, it just makes sense.

Let's change it to three guns in a new topic!! That's always fun.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324711#p324711 said:
bgeddes » Yesterday, 22:23[/url]"]
Let's change it to three guns in a new topic!! That's always fun.
You want to clarify that? Do you mean, only three guns? Do you wish to specify type, as in one handgun, one rifle, and one shotgun?

Roger

Latest posts