2013 Whitetail Bow Season... Git Sum!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panFried

Reaction score
I love opening day, the excitement, the outdoors, and getting away from it all. I posted this topic to see who's ready to git sum and to hear about your 2013 experience.

Myself, ill be hunting SE Missouri and various managed hunts outside the St Louis area. I participate in the MO conservations bow hunters wildlife survey and last year I spotted several red tail hawk kills, fox and bobcats. I have yet to harvest a deer via bow on my farm, but I have let too many pass. Freezer is low and I have a craving for some summer sausage. :)

I have 3 150+ class bucks running together but I assume they'll be going nocturnal the closer I get to new moon in October. So the time is now :) Sunday will be sunny and 43 low. CAN'T WAIT!!!

My wife and I just moved to MO from Illinois.

Our Illinois season does not open up until Oct. 1st. I'll have to wait until then unless I can find a place to hunt here in MO.

We are one week in just to hot in the afternoons for me to get motivated yet.

Id crap my pants if a 150s buck walked under me

fool4fish1226 said:
I put a few hours in last Saturday and will again this coming Saturday morning.
Likewise... I put in a few hours on Opening day, but didn't see much with heavy brush. Also could have been the fact, the wife, kids and dogs were goofing around the farm as loud as possible. Going out again sat/sun without them :) !

We've just got too much going against us. The season doesn't open until the 28th, brush is still super thick, temps are still running in the 90+ with not much relief in the foreseeable future. The massive number of mosquitoes we raise yearly will still be dracula mode until the first frost. I had my thermocell out in the carport a few days ago, and even it was being overwhelmed by them. I've got my fingers crossed that we'll start getting some morning temps at least down to the high 50's before long though.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=329641#p329641 said:
JMichael » Yesterday, 19:26[/url]"]We've just got too much going against us. The season doesn't open until the 28th, brush is still super thick, temps are still running in the 90+ with not much relief in the foreseeable future. The massive number of mosquitoes we raise yearly will still be dracula mode until the first frost. I had my thermocell out in the carport a few days ago, and even it was being overwhelmed by them. I've got my fingers crossed that we'll start getting some morning temps at least down to the high 50's before long though.

Sounds like a typical season for us south florida boys HOT and BUGGY :beer:

I always hunted on the Ground. Washington state and Alaska.
I miss it more than I can say. It's good to see you younguns out there like I did so many years ago.

I got stories~~~ :LOL2:

thudpucker said:
I always hunted on the Ground. Washington state and Alaska.
I miss it more than I can say. It's good to see you younguns out there like I did so many years ago.

I got stories~~~ :LOL2:
I bet! That's my favorite part about the hunt, the stories!

thudpucker said:
..there was the time a Black Bear Sow shot over to my tree and right up to my stand in less than 10 seconds.
You just had to be there.... :LOL2:
Im glad I wasn't cuz I'd be changing my shorts. :)

That's one of the reasons I prefer hunting from my climbing stand. I was ground hunting one morning when I thought I heard a hog rooting around in a cane thicket about 20 yards in front of me. A few minutes later I found myself face to face with a decent sized black bear at about 15 yards. I sat there for what seemed like forever, as the 2 of us were frozen in place, just starring at each other. The bear finally broke and ran for the cane thicket and I decided it was time to go back to camp. I've had several occasions where a mother and cubs or a single bear will walk under me while I'm in my tree stand, but that doesn't have the same impact as one of those face to face meetings at close range. LoL

When that Bear is stopped and staring, even if it's standing upright, that's the time to raise that Bow over head, jump up n' down and make a loud noise. Let the Bear know he might be staring at something very large. :LOL2:

That does not work over a Bear Kill or in the Mating season though. :roll:

I'll put my Bear Stand story in here somewhere.

So I go out last night and I see a nice buck coming in with a few deer across the field. You get all amped up and for no reason they mill around and walk back in the woods. What the....

I hate when that happens!

You have to learn the "Pissed off" call for those Deer.

Long ago I had one out of range. I was sitting on a small stump, behind a larger stump. The Buck couldn't see me, but I'm sure he knew I was there.
Lordy he was suspicious!
Back and forth, head up and head down, take a step and look my way. A step at a time though, he was coming my way.

Finally I made the 'baby Deer' bleat.
He stopped, stood upright and really gave me the 'look'. I froze and watched it all happen. I couldn't move or he'd be gone.

When he turned away again, I made the "cough" and he whirled, took a few steps (stomps) toward me and Blew! Now he's only 30 yards or so.

I think he knew I wasn't a Deer of any kind, but he was gonna let Bambi know there was an ugly smelling interloper in the neighborhood.
He began to turn away and take those few trotting steps. I was sure he was headed off for other Timber.

Finally, while that last ditch opportunity was happening, I got that string back to full draw, still down behind that stump.
I knew it had to happen quick.
I fastened my eye on his Heart/Lung area, and as soon as he turned his head I stood up and took my shot.
Went right under that Target and hit a burned out stump with one heckuva "KNOCK" and he was plumb gone before the Arrow stopped quivering.

I got my Arrow back, still straight, but that Broad head is still in that stump.
I'll bet Bambi snorts every time he passes that stump too.

Archery season for Doe opened in mid September where I'm at in southern PA, and archery buck just opened last Saturday.

I got a mid size doe the other day in my back yard while still wearing my dress shoes and pants ..... I was eating dinner with the family when 4 nice deer walked out of the woods and started milling around in the yard. I grabbed my bow and snuck as close as I could .... I shouldn't have, but I took a 50 yard shot. Hit her in the spine and she dropped right down. Talk about an easy hunt & recovery. Good meat in the freezer, that's for sure.

I'd like to get one more doe for the freezer here in the next couple days, then let things sit until the rut and try for a nice buck. I've never gotten a buck and I'm sure hoping this is the year.

Boy brought this one in yesterday to show my neighbor in the office next door, he's a B&C/P&Y official scorer. It grossed green 171 and change (even with the kicker broken off the right side), won't net all that well, but nice deer none the less.

Attachments

• photo-6.jpg
    photo-6.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,468
  • imageE4.jpg
    imageE4.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 1,468

Latest posts