What BBQ Should I Buy?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd recommend a Traeger wood pellet smoker grill, best grill I've ever cooked with. You can get a digital controller and cook anywhere from 225-400 some degrees controlled heat for slow cooked smokey goodness or quicker grill type cooking. Only downside is you can't quick sear stuff as it doesn't get hot enough, but I haven't found that to be an issue with the majority of the things I cook. Works awesome for salmon and trout, my kids wouldn't eat salmon until I cooked some on this grill. Prime ribs and briskets have always gotten rave reviews from guests as well.

Comstocker said:
I'd recommend a Traeger wood pellet smoker grill, best grill I've ever cooked with. You can get a digital controller and cook anywhere from 225-400 some degrees controlled heat for slow cooked smokey goodness or quicker grill type cooking. Only downside is you can't quick sear stuff as it doesn't get hot enough, but I haven't found that to be an issue with the majority of the things I cook. Works awesome for salmon and trout, my kids wouldn't eat salmon until I cooked some on this grill. Prime ribs and briskets have always gotten rave reviews from guests as well.

I need something with quick sear capability. I've been looking at some of the infra-red grills.

Big Green Egg....I can get from nothing to 600 degrees with no lighter fluid on a charcoal fire in 13-15 minutes. I've had gas & charcoal grills for years....I grill out at least 4 times a week, in the winter still at least 3 times a week. There are very few products in general I'd pimp over anything else. We broke down and spent the money on it in January and it's easily the best grilling related decision I've ever made. Temp wise, the highest I've brought it up to is around 800 and I've been able to keep a stable 225 on it for 18 hours without having to add more fuel to the fire. It has the biggest range of any grill product I've ever used.

If you want a gas/propane grill, here is the one that I have. https://www.napoleongrills.com/Gourmet-grills/Prestige_Pro_gas_grill_series/PRO600RSIB_gas_grill_barbecue.html

I have the sear grill on the side and a cutting table on the other side. It came all together in one package. These grills are very customizable so look at the options and put together the package you want.....and if you buy it from the right place (from an authorized dealer) they carry a lifetime warranty. They are pricey, but I've had great luck with mine. That seer gets instantly hot too!

For something that's not crazy expensive, the Char-Griller is pretty nice. Gas, charcoal grill and smoker.

Jim said:
Im a weber guy. If you go that route I highly highly highly recommend a 3 burner over a 2 burner.

An Egg or a Traeger would be killer though.

3 burners minimum are the way to go if you're going propane - it offers so much more flexibility. I'm also a big fan of the weber product if you're going propane - I've got a Genesis that I bought 15 years ago and it's been terrific. I've used the heck out of it and it still works well - my favorite part about it is the ease of getting parts. I can't tell you how many flavorizor bars I've gone through and how many grates, ignitors, fuel lines, etc. and everything has been easy to come buy - even the casters!

All that said I still vote Egg.

Thanks for the input fellas. I know grilling and fishing are near and dear to all of us! :beer: The two seem to go hand in hand!

I love the Big Green Egg, but I prefer gas. I have a gas line hooked into my natural gas feed in the house and I love the convenience of not having to go out buy charcoal or propane. The fuel never runs out. Some of the newer grills come with "charcoal trays". I also have a charcoal smoker if I ever feel the need...

My current grill is a 10 year old Napoleon Prestige. It has three main burners and a rotisserie burner. We entertain a lot so I need a big cooking surface. I am also really big on rotisserie cooking (try a bone-in pork roast on the rotisserie and you will be hooked for life).

My Napoleon has served me well over the years. They are very well-built grills and I do have some loyalty, as they are made in Canada (in Barrie, Ontario about an hour north of Toronto). I could probably get another ten years out of my Napoleon if I replaced the burners. However, I want something that burns a little hotter (i.e., infrared), a bigger cooking surface and a heavier duty rotisserie.

Anyway, the guy who sold us the appliances for our current kitchen renovation (wife gets new appliances so I get a new grill) has a deal on a 41" Viking grill with infrared and heavy duty rotisserie. Floor model - already assembled. It also comes with a smoker tray. All stainelss steel construction. Going to check it out at noon.

I really like the Viking grills not to mention being as their corporate offices are in Mississippi makes me a little partial to them.

Jim said:
Im a weber guy. If you go that route I highly highly highly recommend a 3 burner over a 2 burner.

+1 For Weber. I have had mine for over 10 years, and I still love it. Has served me well. Also have an additional small charcoal Weber that was my dad's in the early 80's that I take on camping trips. Still works awesome.

I currently have a Weber Spirit 310, 3 burner gas grill and a Weber Performer charcoal grill. I like the gas grill, but the Performer is my favorite grill of all time. I cook on it 5 nights a week most of the year. I use a chimney starter with it. Either of these grills can be set up to maintain 250 degrees for smoking or indirect grilling or go 600 degrees for direct grilling.

I have owned a lot of grills over the years and these have been my favorites.

Check out Weber.com

Home Depot usually has both in inventory. Webers never seem to go on sale, which probably has something to say about their popularity.

BaitCaster said:
Anyway, the guy who sold us the appliances for our current kitchen renovation (wife gets new appliances so I get a new grill) has a deal on a 41" Viking grill with infrared and heavy duty rotisserie. Floor model - already assembled. It also comes with a smoker tray. All stainelss steel construction. Going to check it out at noon.

You will not be disappointed with a Viking - they're very nice and again you shouldn't struggle to find parts for any model....so when's the TinBoats BBQ? :beer:

Well, I bought the Viking yesterday. It's a pretty awseome grill - extremely well built - all stainless steel construction - built in the USA.

Comes with an infrared burner, three stainless steel tube burners and an infrared rotisserie burner. Nice big cooking surface and a really cool smoker box.

Halogen lights under the hood and lighted knobs for night grilling.

Electonic igntition (powered by a 9 volt battery) lights the burners when you turn the knob (no need to push any buttons), like a regular gas range. The burners re-light themselves automatically if blown out by a strong gust of wind.

Heavy duty commercial grade rotisserie is strong enough to cook a turkey.

Attachments

• Viking_VGBQ41_all_grill_09.jpg
    Viking_VGBQ41_all_grill_09.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 2,019
The boys just delivered it. Mrs. BC just sent me a pic! Forgot to mention they gave me the same deal on a brand new one out of the box (i.e., not the floor model). Can't wait to get home and fire her up tonight!

Attachments

• IMG00127-20110610-1035.JPG
    IMG00127-20110610-1035.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 744

Latest posts