Floatation Pods Updated 9-2

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specknreds

Reaction score
I finally broke down and built a set of pods for my boat. They work super. I only wish that I would have taken pictures during the build.

First A special thanks to Sparkbr for help with the layout and dimensional design. Also thanks to rick50 for the welding. If you need any aluminum work done in S. Louisiana, he's the man.

This is one project that I might have been better off paying someone to do, but it came out better than I expected.

On too the building process: I cut everything out at my house. This was very difficult due too he compound angles attaching to compound angles. This took about 4 hours only because I had never done this before and had nothing to go off of except a few pictures. I couldn't tach anything together so this created some issues. I took the 14 pieces to rick50 the next day and we welded everything. I'm proud to say that all pieces fit like a glove. I bolted them on the next day and went for a test trial.

I'm very impressed with the performance. I only had about 3" of freeboard at the transom before and I now have 6"+. I was able to move the gas tank to the back of the boat freeing up floor space (the goal of this project). It provided so much bouyancy that I'm going to move my battery to the back also. They really help taking off too. The boat jumps on plane with minimal throttle. It also seems more stable. The pods also channel a lot of water to the motor. The only negative is I lost about 2 MPH (woopie). I think the channeling is creating drag on the motor. I'm going to raise the motor another 1/2" and I just might get those few MPH back.

Does anyone know what color green Alweld uses?

Attachments

• 2009_0830pods0011.JPG
    2009_0830pods0011.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 17,871
  • 2009_0830pods0013.JPG
    2009_0830pods0013.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 17,871
  • 2009_0830pods0019.JPG
    2009_0830pods0019.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 17,871
  • 2009_0830pods0020.JPG
    2009_0830pods0020.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 17,871
More pictures.

Attachments

• 2009_0830pods0004.JPG
    2009_0830pods0004.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 17,672
  • 2009_0830pods0005.JPG
    2009_0830pods0005.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 17,672
  • 2009_0830pods0008.JPG
    2009_0830pods0008.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 17,672
Nice work! Concerning the paint, maybe if you have something removable from the boat (bracket, handle, etc), perhaps an automotive paint place could match the paint on their computer and mix you some up.

Zum said:
Looks like it worked out nice.
Now maybe a 40hp will be in your dreams:)

8) working on it..

Waterwings said:
Nice work! Concerning the paint, maybe if you have something removable from the boat (bracket, handle, etc), perhaps an automotive paint place could match the paint on their computer and mix you some up.

I called the local Alweld dealer and they quoted me $40 a quart. I think that I'm going to take your advice.

Specknreds said:
Zum said:
Looks like it worked out nice.
Now maybe a 40hp will be in your dreams:)

8) working on it..

Waterwings said:

I called the local Alweld dealer and they quoted me $40 a quart. I think that I'm going to take your advice.

$40 a qt! Ouch! Heck, I'd hate to think what they'd charge to paint it for you. :shock:

I just noticed I misspelled floatation. OOPS :?

My wife saw where Walmart just received a new stock of camo paint and the OD greed matched. $12 for 3 cans sure beat $40 a quart.

We're going to give it a good test trial this weekend. I have a 4 day holiday weekend. 8)

Attachments

• 2009_0902pods20001.JPG
    2009_0902pods20001.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 17,498
  • 2009_0902pods20002.JPG
    2009_0902pods20002.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 17,498
  • 2009_0902pods20003.JPG
    2009_0902pods20003.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 17,498
  • 2009_0902pods20004.JPG
    2009_0902pods20004.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 17,498
2 MPH loss isn't bad considering you altered the planing surface quite abit. It looks like to me you can raise that engine more than 1/2 inch also, proly get your 2 MPH, and then some, back.

What are the hatches in the top of the sponsons for?

Thats pretty awesome.. I know Alumaweld makes a jon with those pontoons already on the hull. Is that where you got the idea from?

cyberflexx said:
Thats pretty awesome.. I know Alumaweld makes a jon with those pontoons already on the hull. Is that where you got the idea from?

No, just about every tinboat manufacturer offers them including Alweld. I got the idea from a combination of Sparkbr (tinboats member) and they are very popular around my area. I live in "mud-boat territory".

Rat said:
2 MPH loss isn't bad considering you altered the planing surface quite abit. It looks like to me you can raise that engine more than 1/2 inch also, proly get your 2 MPH, and then some, back.

What are the hatches in the top of the sponsons for?

The hatches gave me a way too reach the bolts. I bolted it so I could test them before I welded them. I can patch a few bolt holes a lot easier than cutting the pods off if they were welded.

Sea trial and fishability results:

The weather conditions were horrible :x but we made the best of it. I guess perfect conditions for a sea trial; horrible for fishing. We ran well over 60 miles dodging thunderstorms and tring to find some fish. There was also a 10 - 20+ MPH variable wind :( . We had the boat loaded down with 8 gallons of gas, 2 big guys, lg. deep cycle battery, 120 quart ice chest with 20+lbs of ice, Fishing rods, tackle box that would rival a bait shop, and a assortment of other items. Another words HEAVY!

The first thing I noticed was while launching, the back of the boat floated twice as fast. There is no chance of water coming over the transom now while backing down. I would sit on the front while someone backed be down the ramp. Not anymore!

I was able to move my gas tank to the very back of the boat freeing up a lot of floor space. I also moved my battery too the compartment in my back seat. I could not do this before because I only had a couple of inches of freeboard at the transom. The pods have added 4" at the minimum of freeboard. Even with all the added weight.

As far as stability, the only way I can describe it is it acts like a 1654 or even a 18'er. The boat sits almost level even with the added weight while sitting still. The pods also did something unexpected. They stabilized the side to side motion. I could walk anywhere in the boat and my fishing buddy barely felt it. Before, two people could not sit too the rear of the boat without me worrying about water over the transom. Now it's high and dry.

I noticed that while on plane, the boat held the water better. While crossing other boats wakes or a 1 foot chop, it seemed more solid cutting the waves better.

We chased redfish in the tidal ponds today and I never once had to raise the motor. We were in less than a foot of water. :D My floating draft is about 8" with the motor down. The pods help you plane off twice as fast by cutting the bow rise in half. I planed out several times in a foot of water.

The pods did cut my top end a little. Before I could easily run 29 with this weight. Now the best I could get was 27.5 MPH. I think that motor is causing drag because the pods channel water to the motor. I was going to raise the motor before this trip but I discovered that I can not raise it anymore. The clamps are at the top of the transom. This is going to be another project just to raise it further. I might just build a jack plate. I noticed that the motor was kicking up a lot of spray while on plane. The water is hitting about 2.5" above the cavitation plate.

And if anyone was wondering, They do catch fish. Here are a few fish we kept for dinner. I'm blackening the redfish on the halfshell on the grill while I'm writing this.

Attachments

• 2009_09048-4-090001.JPG
    2009_09048-4-090001.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 3,389

Latest posts