Semi-V mod questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishCat

Reaction score
OK, I'm looking at a used Montgomery Ward Sea King and have some questions about, what else, decking it out. It's 14' long and 54" wide at the gunwales. I just want to know, hopefully from other folks who have similar boats, how stable these are stock and then modified? The transom is 16" tall and the floor to the top of the middle bench is only 12". I wouldn't have the opportunity to get this thing in the water before buying it, so I thought I'd ask here what folks thought about these, kind of oddly shaped boats. Thanks!

Hi and Thanks. I've read that actually. I found this site a few years ago after inheriting a little jon. This site made me scrap my "big" plans due to safety concerns, in fact. (Too small a boat.) I've been looking for a new one ever since. In regards to these semi-V's, the Do's & Don’ts section is mostly don't; that's why I was hoping to hear from some folks who have done things to theirs.

This particular boat looks to be in great shape. It's plenty wide; it's just the depth that worries me. Price has dropped to $995 too. I do believe the sides flare out, so that's a plus. Let me see if I can post a pic...

SeaKing.jpg

FYI.
Crappie_Slayer has a mod going for a semi-V hull.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10228

Btw, that boat and trailer looks great. Plus a clean looking 9.9hp too.
I can't see any rust anywhere?
Doesn't sound like a bad deal.

Great looking boat and very stable as is. Worst case scenario is that you put a low level floor and pedestal seats on the benches. You can then stand and fish (also leaning on your seat for a little rest and support) and you can sit and fish. Raising those seats 7-11 inches will make that a killer rig. Hopefully someone with a similar boat chimes in.

I would offer him 900 cash if it looks clean. :D

The boat, and engine, look to be in great shape. There are some cracks at a few seams; but I think it's just the paint. It looks to have been kept very well.

Right now, I'm fishing from a small pontoon float boat. It's a great little "go-anywhere" rig (i.e. throw it on my car roof); but I'm looking to upgrade to a craft that will give me the space to flip & pitch for bass. (A motor is be a big plus too. Big!) Putting in a floor would make this a fantastic little fishing boat...but I want a deck. I'm pretty sure this boat won't take a deck to the gunnel. That's OK; I have 3 little girls that could end up going out with me, at some point, so I know I can't get too crazy. Thanks for the input all. Keep it coming!

P.S. Jim: I was born and raised in Worcester! Went to HS in Shrewsbury.

Been working on modding my shallow-v for a little while now. To help answer you're question, my boat was very stable when I took it out in stock form. Used to use a boat of a buddy's that was almost exactly the same as the one I have now, but he had decked the front of it up to the top. Only stood on it once and it was too shaky for my taste. In modding mine, I kept the floor as low as possible, and plan on putting a small casting deck in the front end at the same height as the old seat. Hoping that keeping everything low will keep the boat nice and stable.

Jim said:
Great looking boat and very stable as is. Worst case scenario is that you put a low level floor and pedestal seats on the benches. You can then stand and fish (also leaning on your seat for a little rest and support) and you can sit and fish. Raising those seats 7-11 inches will make that a killer rig. Hopefully someone with a similar boat chimes in.

I would offer him 900 cash if it looks clean. :D
agreed. that looks a lot like mine. I only put a small casting deck on the front. I would not do anything more then a low flat deck for the rest of the boat though.

here is the link to mine. I need to update my pics though.https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6735

Latest posts