Is this normal

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbhutton

Reaction score
I'm about to go pick up my new jon boat, i noticed this the color did not look right, is this normal

Attachments

• 1542 Jon 001.jpg
    1542 Jon 001.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 2,349
If you mean the splotchy areas.....NO, it's not normal.

No telling what caused it, but If it's new I'd make sure to have a discussion with the seller about it.

If I had to guess, it got something.... mud, bird poo, etc on it, and someone used the wrong product to clean it.

What It Looks Like To Me In Your Picture, Is That The Paint Has Been "Touched-Up". What Is Inside At These Areas, Any Damage/Touch-Up In There Also?

Also Looking At The Pic, Seems To Be In A Dealer's Lot Based On The Fence & The Other Boat. I Would Ask Them Two Questions: Why Was It Touched Up? How Much Are You Thinking Of Taking Off My Price For This Touched-Up Boat?

What Little I Can Tell From This Pic, I Would Not Walk Away From The Deal Though. Just Ask Them Some Questions First, And See Where That Leads You.

yeah its a t a dealers, I have had this on order for a week. It finally arrives, now i see this...great, Saturday will be a fun conversation

here are a couple more pics

Attachments

• 1542 Jon 002.jpg
    1542 Jon 002.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 2,326
  • 1542 Jon 003.jpg
    1542 Jon 003.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 2,326
mbhutton said:
yeah its a t a dealers, I have had this on order for a week. It finally arrives, now i see this...great, Saturday will be a fun conversation

Not to belittle your frustrations, but waiting a week is alot less than most of us to get a boat we want and can afford. The second part is.....I assume the dealer will take less than retail for the boat now =D> Have him knock another $200 or so off and take it as is!

If you don't want it as is, I'd call him tomorrow, and maybe they can remedy it by Saturday.

You paid for a new setup, so make sure you get what you expect. I could understand a few scratches, but the entire side of the boat looks mismatched?

That's a lot of touch up for such a small boat. I'd be asking questions, and making sure I get what I paid for. If it's not right, tell 'em to fix it or get a new boat if you're anal about aesthetics.

It's your right as a customer.

I think it is normal - I see that kinda discoloration in many aluminum boats with a flat paint - almost like oil was wiped on the boat. I think it has something to do with moisture and the metal.

It might be a "shine" from where the boat was stacked for shipping - they will put cardboard or something to keep the paint from getting scratched and that might have polished the flat out of the pain a little. Like a bad wax job!

Have the dealer 'prep" the boat by washing and waxing the hull and i bet if disappears

It does not seem to appear on boats with glossy paint.

MeanMouth said:
You paid for a new setup, so make sure you get what you expect. I could understand a few scratches, but the entire side of the boat looks mismatched?

That's a lot of touch up for such a small boat. I'd be asking questions, and making sure I get what I paid for. If it's not right, tell 'em to fix it or get a new boat if you're anal about aesthetics.

It's your right as a customer.

I'm going to have to agree to this myself. Tough unless you really see it up close too.

You paid (or going to pay) for a new rig, so you have every right to expect prestine fit and finish on your rig. I see it as the same as buying a brand new car; you expect everything to be da*n near perfect.

If it just cosmetic, maybe you could get the price of a paint job taken off of the asking price. If not, see if they will repaint the thing for you. There is a problem if they will repaint it. It will take longer to receive the boat if they repaint it. You pay for a new boat, you should receive a new boat in pristine condition.

I am planning to buy this same model of boat in the near future and would be really interested in hearing your thoughts about it.

Latest posts