Sears 12ft v mod v - floor boards

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaneroni

Reaction score
hi
I'm about to start working on putting down a floor in my 12ft sears. I was thinking instead of using plywood to use cedar stips 1/2 x2 inch. Has anyone done that before? could you give me some hints on how far to space the joists and how to attach it to the bottom of the boat.
Thank you

If I where to do this, I would build the cedad planks, with cross braces seperate ( like a door) then screw one piece of 1x2 on the cross braces, them screw the cedar top on it. Can be done if you like that old sailboat look, not sure about reactions to wet enviorment (sp) though.

I guess my answer would be somewhat dependent on your reasoning for using the cedar.

Do you already have it? If not, what's the price difference between it and the ply?

I wouldn't be a fan of having uncovered little gaps in a screwed down deck for things like hooks, small weights, leaves, etc....to slip through and collect at the hull/bilge.

The cedar will be much lighter than plywood, although I wouldn't space it out because of reasons already stated by brine. As far as reactions to a wet environment the cedar would be fine. They build wood boats out of cedar and cypress and mahogany.

Cedar sounds good. I have some left over fence planks that I can cut into strips and sand down a little. I guess I'll have to place them really close to each other as much as possible to avoid loosing stuff. Thanks for the input guys.

Latest posts