2 man plastic boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaarc

Reaction score
I know guys this is a tin boat forum, but I'm sure there are some guys with plastic boats here too. Show me what kinds of mods yall have done to them. I'm looking for a good way to mount some rod holders and a graph. I've got some ideas but would like to see some others too.

Dave

Dave, you'll have to wait a little, but when I get finished I'll post some picks of my Crawdad. Fished out of it for almost a year and finally have an idea how I want it. Will be a one man boat when done, but will have a rod locker and additional storage. Hopefully will get started in a week or so. Been too busy at work and it's too hot to fish (for me) so might as well do it now so I can have it ready this Fall which is my favorite.

I'm not sure if your referring to rod strap holders or pole holders used during trolling or catfishing. But anyways I mounted 2 Rod Saver velcro straps on each side of the boat to secure my rods. Also mounted a fish finder onto a small square plywood and mounted the plywood onto the front left railing using 2 strips of velcro. I didn't want to put anymore holes in the boat, and the velcro was very secure. Here's a pic of my rod straps (I never took that many rods; it was just for grins).

Attachments

• BR.jpg
    BR.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 1,833
I'm on my second one of these little babys and I can tell you I've caught more and bigger fish out of these then my big boat ever came close to. The one thing I did that made all the difference in the world as far as a mod goes was to put my trolling motor in the front and a tiller in the rear (bow / stern). The way I made my tiller was to take an aluminum shaft canoe paddle, pull the hand grip off, slide it through an old trolling motor clamp, (shorten the shaft to taste), clamp it back on the stern/transum. Now, you have met your boating law for having a paddle, you can move the shaft up and down or tilt out of the way for really shallow water conditions and if you are playing "lazy river" just loosten the shaft tention and put the trolling motor on constiant then twist the paddle to steer the whole boat. Or something like that. Oh yeah, a big foot switch is a must for your trolling motor. Just mount it to a 5x14" scrap of plywood and lay it where your good foot is and off you go. Or something like that.

zerofivenismo said:
I'm not sure if your referring to rod strap holders or pole holders used during trolling or catfishing. But anyways I mounted 2 Rod Saver velcro straps on each side of the boat to secure my rods. Also mounted a fish finder onto a small square plywood and mounted the plywood onto the front left railing using 2 strips of velcro. I didn't want to put anymore holes in the boat, and the velcro was very secure. Here's a pic of my rod straps (I never took that many rods; it was just for grins).

Thanks man, that's the same boat I have. Do you have any more pics of your mods? I was talking about pole holders for trolling.

tccanoe said:
I'm on my second one of these little babys and I can tell you I've caught more and bigger fish out of these then my big boat ever came close to. The one thing I did that made all the difference in the world as far as a mod goes was to put my trolling motor in the front and a tiller in the rear (bow / stern). The way I made my tiller was to take an aluminum shaft canoe paddle, pull the hand grip off, slide it through an old trolling motor clamp, (shorten the shaft to taste), clamp it back on the stern/transum. Now, you have met your boating law for having a paddle, you can move the shaft up and down or tilt out of the way for really shallow water conditions and if you are playing "lazy river" just loosten the shaft tention and put the trolling motor on constiant then twist the paddle to steer the whole boat. Or something like that. Oh yeah, a big foot switch is a must for your trolling motor. Just mount it to a 5x14" scrap of plywood and lay it where your good foot is and off you go. Or something like that.

A fella I work with put a tiller on his also. Why does this make such a difference? Do you have any pics of your boat you can post?

A tiller is a must-have if you put your trolling motor on the bow. These boats a light in the stern and swing uncontrolably from side to side. I'm good with tillers but not so good with pics, sorry. What you end up with is the paddle shaft where the trolling motor shaft would be. You can unclamp for transport and storage then clamp it on when ready to launch. I use my utility trailer as my boat trailer for extended trips. From a distance it looks like you have two trolling motors clamped on your boat but one is the tiller. If you do have a motor failure, you unscrew the paddle handle and pull the paddle out, reattach the handle and go to paddling (luck with that). But you don't get a ticket from the Boat Police for not having your emergency paddle with you and the paddle is out of the way while acting like a tiller. They make a colapsable paddle with a button thing on the shaft that will work too but those puppys are about 10x's as expensive as a yard sale paddle that you have moded to taste which is what we like to do anyway. Or something like that. Nice chat.

I know this is not the place but how about a plastic boat story? I live just outside Lexington, Ky. About 200miles west of here is the Peabody Wildlife Management Area. Thousands of acres of land given back to the state after it was stripped of coal over the last 20 to 60 yrs. It is used by hunters mostly but there are hundreds, I mean hundreds of old strip pit ponds there. They range anywhere from 1/2 acre to 50 acres. The roads leading to them are a gravel maze. Good ol' boys from the past stocked these ponds with a little of everthing and it brings tears to my eyes to think about the fish I've caught there. There are stick-ups, rocks and deep drop offs. Nature has done a great job reclaiming this area. Deer, Gease, Ducks, the whole thing. When I travel down there I go back to my few favorates and try to find new ones. The truth is, I've fished in and caught nice ones but could not find them again the next year. That's how many ponds there are in the Peabody. Plastic boat is the key to the Peabody. Somebody that knows the area chim in and verify my tail.

tccanoe said:
A tiller is a must-have if you put your trolling motor on the bow. These boats a light in the stern and swing uncontrolably from side to side. I'm good with tillers but not so good with pics, sorry. What you end up with is the paddle shaft where the trolling motor shaft would be. You can unclamp for transport and storage then clamp it on when ready to launch. I use my utility trailer as my boat trailer for extended trips. From a distance it looks like you have two trolling motors clamped on your boat but one is the tiller. If you do have a motor failure, you unscrew the paddle handle and pull the paddle out, reattach the handle and go to paddling (luck with that). But you don't get a ticket from the Boat Police for not having your emergency paddle with you and the paddle is out of the way while acting like a tiller. They make a colapsable paddle with a button thing on the shaft that will work too but those puppys are about 10x's as expensive as a yard sale paddle that you have moded to taste which is what we like to do anyway. Or something like that. Nice chat.

Thanks for the advice I think I'll try to come up with something.

Hay Seaarc, Talk about sharp. I just now noticed you're from the Great State also. When you get your plastic boat going, try a trip down to the Peabody. You get a map with the $10 annual user fee and it's a blast just driving around trying to pick the next place to fish. Good Luck.

tccanoe said:
Hay Seaarc, Talk about sharp. I just now noticed you're from the Great State also. When you get your plastic boat going, try a trip down to the Peabody. You get a map with the $10 annual user fee and it's a blast just driving around trying to pick the next place to fish. Good Luck.

Well yes I am. Go CATS!!! Anyway I will need to look into Peabody, it sounds good. My work budy has turned me on to some small bodies of water that he fishes. Fagan Branch Res. in Lebonon, Sportsmans lake, and Booker Road Res. in Springfield. I also want to put in Elkhorn creek, I hear it has some nice smallmouth in it. I was down in Georgetown the other day and found a nice park on Ellkhorn creek with a ramp that I plan on checking out.

seaarc said:
zerofivenismo said:

Thanks man, that's the same boat I have. Do you have any more pics of your mods? I was talking about pole holders for trolling.

Sorry, the only pics I have doesn't show any mods.

Latest posts