Stick Steering Idea

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonLB

Reaction score
Most boats that are setup with stick steer are usually narrow boats. You can reach the shifter on one side of the boat, and the stick for the steering on the other, at the same time.

When I start on this boat I want the maximum amount of room possible. I was going to convert to a tiller but I'm 2nd guessing that idea for a few reasons. I can get back to those reasons later.

I could keep the shifter where it is, and then mount a stick steer stick next to it. This of course would be impossible to operate with have to use the throttle and steering on two seperate levers with one hand. BUT, I'm thinking that a Hot Foot throttle would make it possible.

What do you guys think. Shifter and steer stick on the same side using a hot foot throttle sound kosher?

Could you put the shifter between your legs kinda tucked under the seat a little. That way the left or right hand could operate and the deck would remain hot-foot free.

Has anyone here used stick steer?

There is a system for up to 75HP. This would be used with a 65hp engine. I wonder if there is tons of steering torque as with a tiller.

Part of the reason for considering the stick steer setup is that this boat will be used to take the family out also. It would be nice to be able to sit in front of them for better visibility, but also not have a big console in the way.

The other reason is that a 65hp tiller probably has a bunch of torque steer.

Any yet another is that tiller conversion parts for a bigger motor are not going to be cheap at all. Probably close to the same price as the stick steer system.

I called about one of the hydraulic steering systems for a tiller engine yesterday. At basically 1500 bucks those are out for sure. I'm currently trying to figure out a way to home build one of these setups, but I just can't figure out how.

I've been searching for awhile now and can't find if they can be mounted on the starboard side.

They are intended to be mounted on the port side. In which case I would have to turn it backwards, run the cable out the front, and leave enough length to make the turn and run back to the boat.
The steering would work opposite when pushing forward/back.

By doing this I can put a hot foot right against the front deck, and all the way to the right.

Mount the handle upside down on the mechanism, then the cable comes out the top going to the back.

I don't know if it's possible or not but it sounds good :)

Stick steers are pretty steering neutral, not much torque on the ones I've been in. Only bad thing I ever had was remembering push = right...

Jamie

My uncles boat has a stick steer. But its mounted the traditional way with the gas on the right and the steer on the left. His boat only has a 18hp motor on it. The torque is not much and only takes a slight push or pull to start turning the boat.

I have thought about mounting a stick steer on the front of the middle bench so that is moves side to side. It should feel similar to tiller steering but I could be in the front of the boat.

I have used stick steering before and it is very popular down here on the narrow and deep river boats. I have never noticed any torque and they are easy to operate.

One thing to remember when you are engineering though, is that if something goes awry and the boat cuts sharply, you are generally far enough forward that you are going out of the boat. That is the main thing I didn't like about it. I also almost got pitched hitting a wake.

Other than that, it's very convenient for running bush hooks, anchoring, etc.

Latest posts