Change of direction with my Lowe

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PartsMan

Reaction score
I pulled the floor out of my roughneck today to see why it had been out before.
Also there was some putty on the bottom that worried me.
:cry:
scf0862.jpg

scf0863.jpg

I think I'll get this removed and welded up before I worry about decks or motors.

Good idea on getting that fixed.....You didn't do that right?
I ask because I was wondering if you have any idea how bad it is.
Hopefully you can get it taken care of and it's not that big of an issue.

No I bought it this November with "a leak that had been fixed".
There idea of "fixed" and mine are not the same.

I am afraid it is as bad as I imagined.
sc02586.jpg

This is not a "leak". This is a RIP!
I'm glad I didn't trust there "fix" cause it only took a couple of good hits with my mall to break all the putty loose.
Would not have been cool with the family in the boat.

Ya I didn't want to say anything till you got in there for yourself. In that first picture it even looks like the stringer is bent at that spot too.

Either way, it's fixable for sure. So don't get to discouraged.

Like usual if someone doesn't fix something right, it just makes more work for the person who does fix it right.

The area I didn't see till just now is where the metal is bowed up, over by the edge, is filled with bondo.....Getting that out, before welding could be a real pain in the butt.

Yes the putty is a pain.
Everything they did will have to come off before it can be fixed right.

On the up side I have all the tools I should need to remove it,
and a winter to get it done too.

Taking the time now to fix it right will give you some reall peace of mind. Get it welded or pound it flat and rivet some aluminum inside and out with some 3M 5200 in between. You should begood to go.

poolie said:
Wouldn't have wanted to be in the boat when that happened. #-o

Yea I would like to here the story too.
I can't say for sure that it all happened at the same time but he did say the lower unit was "bad" on the motor that it had. Also these boats came with an aluminum side console.

I imagine the hull hit something. Then the lower unit hit it. Then the driver hit the console.
Later followed by the boat swamping.

To bad they don't have boat facts to tell me stuff like this.

Not bad....You could even work it over with a hammer and dolly and smooth it even more. Either way that metal has been stretched. If it were me, I'd lay a piece of aluminum angle down open end, and have it welded on top of it. (on the inside)

Lets see the rest of the boat.

I think I would have a patch welded over the entire area. If you know how to weld aluminum PMan, then go for it. Otherwise, go pro. You'll have enough on your mind with your family in the boat.

Update!

I finally got the Lowe in to the welder.
Been a crazy winter here. It has had snow in it forever.

The first thing he said when he saw my 16 foot 73 inch beam all welded tunnel hull. :mrgreen:
"O it's a little boat" :cry: Turns out he had a call on a 24' pontoon yesterday also.

He said the rip looked nasty but should be an easy fix. Also thanked me for getting the putty off.

KMixson said:
That looks to be a pretty major rip in there. I would cut a square section out and have a new plate welded in myself. That way the bottom will be flat when it is done.

I mentioned putting a plate on there and he said it would be major body work.
You see the hull is not flat. The rip runs right into the corner of the pocket tunnel.

I let the welder do what he though was best.