New TinBoater

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hot tuna

Reaction score
Hey All.

I am a first time tin boat owner just testing the waters here.

I just purchased a 1986 1232 Sears Gamefisher that is in good shape, it is all all original and not cut.

My maiden voyage was 3 hours out on the electric only res. The weather was warm, rainy and foggy. At times I could see 100 yds into the woods and other times I could not see past 15 ft in any direction. I had a blast but did not catch any fish. I did reaquaint myself with some old Penn friends which have been dissassembled, cleaned, lubed and reassembled.

The boat came with a Minn Kota Turbo 40 and a 115 amp/hr marine battery. The combo performed pretty well. I ran it for about 2 hours in 1 to 3 speeds. In 4 and 5 speeds the motor was knocking and I think it is an endplay problem. A quick internet search shows acceptible endplay about .015 to .050 and I have .085. Over all I was pretty impressed, I got around the whole res without having to paddle.

The boat also came with 2 canoe paddles which I have modified into oars, I like oars much better and cannot wait to try them out, along with the reels that I serviced. I could not believe the prices for new oars amd am too cheap to pop for them.

Comfort is something that definitely needs to be addressed. A 9 inch rise for the benches is not enough for me and I will need more. I am working on weight distribution and seat placement. I anticipate being solo much of the time but would like to be able to take a partner comfortably. Movable seats seem like a good idea to come up with a permenant floor plan or to decide if I like having movable seats.

Anyone have any suggestions on the motor endplay? Can it be repaired or are the motors done when they start wearing?

Anything better than the Attwood clamps to set up movable seats? A home made solution perhaps?

Get Rhythm, it's only 5 cents a shoe.

Looks like you may have a kinda short narrow boat. Instead of those removable atwood seats, how about a couple of pedestal type seats with spots set up to place them in each bench. I don't think I would put a pedestal bar in but just the seat straight into the base. It should raise you up enough to give you good seating comfort without changing your center of gravity too much. I've even cut a pedestal bar down, popped the nylon receiver out, drove it back into the base piece and made a stubby. Look at the thread "decking, when to and when not to" for more info. Welcome aboard. You're in the right place for the best tin boat info.

Latest posts