bought a new 1232 and few questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

back4more

Reaction score
I recently bought an Alumacraft 1232 and 5hp 4 stroke. my original intent was to load the boat and motor in the back of my truck and hand launch wherever I go. after a few trips Im thinking Im going to have to get a trailer :lol: . and I figure if I get a trailer, I can go ahead and add seats.

so my questions are....

1. whats a good price, new and used, for a galvanized trailer for my 12 footer? I have a place close to me that sells a new one for $590 plus tax.
2. when adding seats, seat inserts and seat bases, is it absolutely necessary to add plywood to the bench? or is it ok to screw the 6 hole, aluminum seat base directly to the bench? if possible, Id really like to avoid adding any weight that I dont have to.

thanks !

EDIT : the trailer would be for mostly salt water use

I think that sounds like a reasonable price for a new trailer. I have about that in my restored 1972 trailer. For a 12', i would look into the harbor freight trailers. Several guys have modded those into some nice trailers.

I fished on a 1032 once. Be careful adding seats to a 32" boat. I'm a big guy at about 275, my buddy that was with me is about 250. We never stood up just sat in the seats that were mounted to the original benches. That thing was very very tippy. If we had stood up, we would have dumped it for sure. I never got on that boat again!!

I did see that harbor freight boat trailer, I think it was around $329. but I forgot to mention I will be using the trailer in salt water frequently so I thought that trailer would not be a good choice.

the seats I would like to add would not have pedestals. it would be the plastic folding seat, seat base (to mount on boat bench) and seat mount (to bolt to seat and then insert in seat base).

seat.jpg
seatmount.jpg
seatbase.jpg

The seats I were on wernt on pedistals either. They were mounted on swivels mounted directly to the benches. Some guys on here haved decked 12 footers, even 10 footers, just be careful.

thanks BassBlaster. I dont plan to deck the boat. just wondering if its ok to mount the seat base to the bench without adding support for the bench.

Latest posts