trailer bearings....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnbasser

Reaction score
I have had my boat and trailer 5 years now. I have no bearing buddies, or any type of grease fittings. How long should a set of bearings last ? I know i need to take them out and repack them, but should i go aghead and replace them ?? ideas please!!

They could last another 5 years or fall apart next week... If you are taking the time to take them out, I would go ahead and replace them. They're generally not expensive and it could save you a bad day of trying to go fishing.

There is no set date on bearing life. Many many years if cared for correctly. The front bearings on our pickup truck have 400,000 miles on them, and they are just like trailer bearings, only a lot bigger. Now, on a boat trailer, you have the big issue of keeping water out, as they are submerged a lot. Water is really the big killer of bearings. I have found that bearing buddies are a key in bearing life. Some say that they don't like them, as they don't get new grease to the inner bearing, but bearing grease doesn't wear out. And, if the grease can't get to the inner bearing, neither can water, provided your seal is still good. You should repack them every couple years, not so much to change the grease and all, but moreso to inspect everything. If it is all apart, and cleaned, you can thoroughly inspect everything, to make sure it is in tip top condition. The bearings should be shiny, with no pitting, and should have zero wobble when spinning them on your fingers. The spindle shouldn't have any scoring or pitting. The seal will need to be replaced every time you pull the inner bearing, as most seal pullers end up ruining the seal.

BasBoy1 - you always have great advice, I want to fly you up here to "Yankee Land" so you can fix all my stuff up.

Thanks dude!

I would take them out and check them spin them in your hand if there turn rough or are pitted replace them just for the peace of mind .If they seem to be rolling freely with no noise just repack them and reinstall. I replaceed mine last year on the big trailer only one was a little rough but always replace as a set.

Here is a few links with some good articles

https://www.bassboatcentral.com/sttipsbb.htm

https://www.trailer411.com/trailer-maintenance.html

https://users.westco.net/~tandjlm/berring.htm

https://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=134

esquired said:
BasBoy1 - you always have great advice, I want to fly you up here to "Yankee Land" so you can fix all my stuff up.

Thanks dude!
How 'bout you just bring all your stuff down to Dixieland, and I'll fix it down here. Too cold for me to be up there. :?

if you're unsure, it doesn't hurt to just go ahead and replace them. they are not very expensive and can turn a good day bad in a hurry. a very easy way to tell is to check the temp of the hubs (just by hand) after a 5 mile run at normal speed grab the hub to see how warm it got. ice cold or so is ideal. if one hub seems to be warmer than the rest that would indicate a problem. I personally grease my trailer once a week and replace the berrings (and both grease seals) once a year reguardless. i also put about 50,000 (yes, i said fifty thousand) miles a year on my trailer, and it gets dipped in salt water up to ten times a day. an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...

thanks for the tips guys...i think im just going to replace them..like i said ive had them on for 5 years and they have had no maintainence..another ? for ya..should the size of the bearings be marked on the existing bearings i have??? im not sure of the size, i know they make a 1" and a 1 1/16 "

mtnbasser said:
thanks for the tips guys...i think im just going to replace them..like i said ive had them on for 5 years and they have had no maintainence..another ? for ya..should the size of the bearings be marked on the existing bearings i have??? im not sure of the size, i know they make a 1" and a 1 1/16 "
As far as I know, it isn't marked. Take your micrometer and measure the spindle, with the hub off. Also, make sure your spindle isn't stepped, or your hub isn't stepped. If it is, your inner bearing will be a different size than the outer. Also, take your micrometer, and measure the inside of the hub where the seal goes, as you will need this dimension for ordering. The best place I have found is Champion Trailers. Go to their website, and write down all the part numbers for what you are looking for. Then, call them during business hours and tell them the list. They don't have the online ordering, but their prices are reasonable. Dad made an order from them for bearings, and springs yesterday, and the phone call took less than 60 seconds, and that was with him telling all the billing and shipping info, as that wasn't on record.

Alot of bearings, races, and seals have a part number stamped into the side. Some will be rubbed off, in which case use the micrometer. Northern Tool and Equiptment sell the in pairs. Dont forget the bearing races with new bearings. And use marine high temp grease to pack bearings.

Latest posts