Non drilled transducer mount

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldgeek

Reaction score
I plan to attach a piece of plastic decking to the transom to use as a mount for my transducer. The transom is aluminum. What is the best adhesive to use? I have some JB Marine weld but I'm not sure that is "sticky" enough to hold it secure. Ideas?

Thanks
Old Geek (Steve)

While I think highly of JB Weld, personally, I'd used 3m5200..

However, the various plastics can be a pain... since some of them won't stick to much of anything else at all. Rich

I was a bit concerned about drilling holes in my boat, but went ahead and didit any way. I bought a plastic mounting plate from Cabela's drilled the two holes according to the instructions and used a marine sealant/adhesive (can't tremember the name, I got it at Canadian Tire). I put the sealant in the holes before screwing in the screws. I also ran a bead of sealant around the perimeter of the holes and around the whole perimeter of the mounting plate. Everything is sealed up nicely and I don't have any leaks.

Attachments

• Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,335
i used square tubing and a c clamp. i still cant bring myself to drill a hole in the boat.

Attachments

• IMG_2501_0005.jpg
    IMG_2501_0005.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,282
bcbouy said:
i used square tubing and a c clamp. i still cant bring myself to drill a hole in the boat.

I ended up using a flat piece of aluminum about 20 inches long and screwed it to the transom above the waterline. Then I attached the plastic to the aluminum and the transducer to the plastic. Ive never used a FF before so the whole thing is gonna be a learning experience. I like the cutting board idea and will probably go to that when I'm sure I understand the whole mounting and use thing better. My current setup is fugly.

I used a piece of 3/4 board about 3x5 Applied Gorilla Glue to board and clamped it till dry been on the 2 years and hasent came off yet works great .I called Gorilla Glue and asked if it was fine for use under water and they said that it was fine and that marine use was what it was originally designed for .

I don't know how well 3M5200 or Gorilla Glue will stick to it....but..some guys have used Wal-Mart kitchen cutting boards. Cheap and readily available.

For a model airplane engine firewall, one time I swiped my wife's cutting board and cut a piece off of it. When she noticed how short it had become, (big spender that I am) ...I bought her a new one. Ha! Rich

Has anyone used the sternmate? Is it worth the large price tag?

I haven't used it, but I contacted them and they offer a discount to tinboats members. I believe it was 10%.

Unfortunately, it doesn't make much of a dent in the price tag, especially when you're on a college budget.

As my brother told me. A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into. :LOL2:
My wife asked me how much we had in my $600 boat and I told her she didn't really want to know. :oops:

Latest posts