14' or 16'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

begs

Reaction score
Ok looking at a few boat. Will be fishing pretty much all around small and larger lake.

Just a few opinons at what size boat. I have been looking at a bunch of 14' boats, and came across a few nice looking 16' boats.

I have my wife and 2 kids which makes me lean to a 16' for the xtra room. but like the versitality of the 14' #-o

just opinoins on which one some people perfer of the other, pros and cons yada yada yada!!!!

lets have fun with this so if someone else has the same issue they can look and read this thread.

Thanks, Begs OUT

If you are wanting to take the family out I would personally go with the 16'. Besides if you get a 14' you will soon want that extra two foot....always happens. Rarely do you ever hear of anyone wanting a boat a little smaller....unless they go alone more often than not. As far as versatility goes, I don't think the 16' would disappoint you. Only downside is with the larger boat and four people would be the need for a little more motor. I had a 14' and honestly I wouldn't want four people in it. All opinion and preference....but those are my opinions and preference. Always safety first when it comes to family ya know.

If you are looking for a Flatbottom the 1448, 1542 and the 1648 are good sizes. I have a 1542 and it will fish 3 adults pretty good. You could make either of these boats work if your kids are small. If its just you, the wife and 2 kids (depending on thier size/age) either or those would be just right untill the kids get a little older.

If your looking for a Mod-V then again the 1448 in a mod-V or a 1648 mod-V would be good.

As far as V -hulls go, Tracker makes a riveted V-hull in a 14 foot that looks like it would fish 3-4 people ok. It can handle a 25hp motor and that would scoot you and your family around on plane pretty nicely (women and kids love to just go on boat rides).

Since you are going to be fishing a LAKE and not little rivers and creeks the V-hull will handle the chop a lot better than a regular Jon Boat. https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3301

Lowe, Alumacraft, Lund, and several others make even bigger models.

https://www.alumacraft.com/2011-models/vs-and-ts/v-16-20/

https://www.loweboats.com/showroom/utility-v/angler/a1467wt.php

There are a ton of these style of boats on C. L. you should be able to find a good deal on a used one.

Good luck.

The 14' is way too small for a growing family.
I have had several and always moved up to 15' or 16'. My current boat is a 1548, nice length and very stable because of the 48" bottom. It is a center console conversion from a tiler style boat. Go with a semi-V because it will handle the rough water a lot better and is a lot smoother riding, jus' sayin'

P.S. TRY AND STAY AWAY FROM A RIVITED BOAT, IF NO PROBLEMS NOW, YOU WILL PROBABLY HAVE PROBLEMS LATER.

I just bought a 12 ft fiberglass mod v for the susquehanna river in pa and i already want a 140 ft mod v for two reasons; 1 i was told i would be crazy to take a fiberglass boat out n 2 i would like the extra space for gear so my gf an i can camp the susquehanna. Go bigger, u wont regret it. Have u really ever hear anyone complian of bigger lol

Go with the 16' boat. Really think about whether to get a deep V or a Mod V. After owning both a 1467 deep V and a 1648 mod V, the 1648 is more stable. Remember the 1648 is 48" at the bottom of the boat and the 1467 is 67" at the top.

rusty.hook said:
P.S. TRY AND STAY AWAY FROM A RIVITED BOAT, IF NO PROBLEMS NOW, YOU WILL PROBABLY HAVE PROBLEMS LATER.

:roll:

Try and stay away from welded as well.....Over time, the welds could crack resulting in problems.

Realistically, if the boat is well cared for, trailered correctly, and not abused, riveted or welded boats will last for decades without any problems.

As for 14' or 16', I would really lean towards a 16'. It doesn't seem like much but that extra 2' really makes for more elbow room.

I have a 1638 and i love it. I bought it used off craigslist and it is riveted. A few leaking rivets is it. you should see it. The guy used it on a river and didn't care what he went over. the boat has dents everywhere and is beat to $hit. But still floats with minimal leaking. Have had a 14' glass boat as well and was a little wider so more stable but overall would take my jon boat anyday.

I'll say this. I have a 16' and when I take three grown men out in it we are pretty cramped. I have never heard anyone say "I wish I had a smaller boat", but almost everyone I know who has a boat says "I wish it was a little bit bigger"

clarkbre said:
rusty.hook said:

:roll:

Try and stay away from welded as well.....Over time, the welds could crack resulting in problems.

Realistically, if the boat is well cared for, trailered correctly, and not abused, riveted or welded boats will last for decades without any problems.

So true, my 1957 riveted semi-v doesn't leak enough in a day of fishing to wet a paper towel, but I'm sure it's been living on borrowed time for the last few decades :LOL2:

Oh, and FWIW I wish it was 16' already, just sayin

Although usually I just fish with my wife or a buddy, but I like having the 16' boat. Of course you guys have never seen my wife casting. Think "Something about Mary" except in the ear. Having her up front is good. =D>

In my most humble opinion what its worth, now days, not very much and getting lower ever day, a rivet will pop before a weld. Also most welded boats are thicker than a pop riveted boat, jus' sayin'

Rusty.hook,

I agree with you 100% BUT.........

There sure are a lot of 20+ year old riveted boats on here that are still runnin strong. I think that if they are taken care of there is no reason a rivted boat cant last for a very, very long time. The trick is finding an old one that has been taken care of. I got a new 1542 riveted and it is ALMOST as sturdy as my old welded 1652 Astro boat (made by landau) from 12 years ago. If you are not going to be doing anything crazy with your boat the average $1,000.00 savings you get on a riveted over a welded hull may be worth it. If you are going to be rough on your boat and going to be running some rough water then the welded hull is well worth it. For most of us that just use jon boats to fish little creeks, rivers and lakes that don't have much chop, a riveted is more than sturdy enough. For the guys that are going all electric.... No reason for a welded hull at all. IMHO

Now for those that are going to be in waves on open lakes or big rivers, and running jets on shallow water with rocks, logs and such you will need the extra strength of a welded hull for sure.

It all depends on what your going to do!

I have a 1648 and Im already looking at an 18! I love the 16 from moving up from a 14 but I sure love the 18! Always go bigger and then alittle bit more to be sure! Adding stuff adds up fast!

i agree , with the bigger boat, idea i have a 1648 wish i had an 1852 when i fish with some people . sometimes you just need room to get out of the way of a 6 year old with a crank bait learnin to cast . just my 2 cents

Latest posts