Aluminum decked boat pics!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymite45

Reaction score
Been lurking for awhile and have a question about an all aluminum mod. Does anyone have pictures of an all alum. Mod. with storage compartments? I have all of the alum. angle and the sheet alum. But don't know how to go about adding storage to the decking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Man, if you end up doing this please take pics. I have always wanted to do this because of the much lighter weight. Good luck! (I'm jealous)

All aluminum, welded with a spool gun.

Subfloor under the decking for batteries.
under-front-hatch.jpg

Hatches in place.
from-front.jpg

And finished off with carpet.
Battery-hatches.jpg

I used .100 sheeting with .125 angle. And made sure I ran two pieces of angle the width of my seat base for my front leaning post to reinforce it.

Do these pic help?

They help a little, still not clear on how the lids are fitted to keep out debri and rain. Did you make or buy them. Do they have a seal? What did you glue the carpet down with? Hope I'm not asking to many questions? Thank you for all your help and the pics too!

this is a picture of what has been did to my boat deck.This is all aliminum with no carpiting and I like it.Storage under the deck as you can see.
ry%3D400

Here is another picture from a differant angle and you can see the nice aliminum floor.Eazy clean up with a water hose

ry%3D400

all aluminum decked boat here. If i had to give my opinion about it i love it for the fact that there is never ever a question of rotten wood. The previous owner who decked the boat did a great job the best part being the hatch lids and they are not flush but actually are a cap over a small lip as shown below, so all storage is virtually water tight and the livewell in place of the center bench with storage on either side, has been perfectmy boat 027.jpg

I checked out bassboy's boats and think along with you fellas pictures, I might have an idea on my layout, just how solid are those storage lids?

Thinner lids need stiffeners. I used recycled road signs, .1875" and they are pretty stiff on the 48" x 18" front door. You can buy doors preassembled but they are expensive. I made my frames out of 1" x .125"; angle, in fact the whole deck it 1" angle with .080 skins. You just need to think things through before fabbing so the deck and door heights are the same, no trip hazards from the hinges either. Kory's boat turned out very well.

Jamie

Go back to the home page and on the left side look for boat projects. Click on it, scrowl down and look for Sgt. Stiglitz Sea King or the boats done by Bassboy1.

I like the pictures of the aliminum decks above it gives me ideas to the future building of my project.aliminum is the way to go as it forever unless it was to get reuioned by denting or the like.I has a carpited boat and thats nice but no eazy cleanup like my little.If i had a bigger jet engin on my little I would see off my Bass Cat and just run the river.To each his own,go figure

mightymite45 said:
I checked out bassboy's boats and think along with you fellas pictures, I might have an idea on my layout, just how solid are those storage lids?

Did you see all of them, or just some? I've been having issues with the site I hosted them on, and for a while it seems all of my photos/descriptions have slap disappeared. However, after seeing that you were able to view them, I went and rechecked, and it appears that some work, and others don't. I'm still trying to get all my pictures back online, for all to see, but haven't been able to get through to the site that hosts them, and having killed and replaced a computer since most were taken, I've still not found where I've saved some of them.

There were four different mods and I was able to view them all. Was there more than that? If so I would love to see those as well. The link to the store section where I guess you listed the materials used didn't work, wished it did though. You do real nice work and wished I could do mine that good, but (theres always a but)I don't think I have nowhere near the skills that you do. Thanks for the ideas!

I'm glad you could see all of them, as I'm still only able to see some of them. Don't know why that is.

The link to the store section where I guess you listed the materials used didn't work, wished it did though

I never have done anything with that section, so nothing ever was there.

BTW, check your PM inbox - I'm sending something else your way.

Bassboy when you were doing the layout for your supports did you do the storage areas first and then on top of that put the final supports in to final or finished height ?

If you were speaking of the one I sent to you via PM, yes. It isn't quite the most efficient use of material, at least in comparison to what I do now, but working with the limited shop equipment I was at the time, it definitely proved to be a very effective method. That rig was one of the first, and while there were a lot of things I have done differently (better) in the years following, I never had the first complaint as to how well that rig functioned.

140 pounds on the 1652 that was decked across nearly all the hull.

28 pounds on the 1652 that just had the deck extension.

(Had to go look at receipts, to see quantity used, then looked up the weight of each item)

Latest posts