Need input FAST!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Lariscy

Reaction score
https://www.gon.com/marketplace/listings/23540/bass_tracker_2

Is this boat worth what he is asking? What is the bottom width and hull thickness and would it be worth converting into an all alumanum rig like I have been looking for? Probably use is as is for awhile then start the conversion down the road what do I need to know about these older bass trackers before I tell him yes...

Personally, I would pay $1000 for that boat if it didnt even come with motors or electronics. Of course thats providing the hull is in good shape. I wish I could find deals like that!!

Looks fishy to me. Tread carefully on that one.

Two boats ago, I thought I found a really good deal, not great but good. Turns out the paper work was out of date and not in order. The seller and his wife even misspelled their names on the transfer of title? Yeah right.

If that was close to me it would already be sitting in my yard. That boat/trailer is worth 1k even without the motor. Get the motor running right and you can more than double your money if you want to sell assuming the motor doesn't need anything major.

Looks good to me, but see if you can run it on the water. There's a lot that could be hidden in a broken motor. Hope it works out for you. Keep us posted.

I'd only pay what I thought the hull and trailer are worth. From what the add says it's a good chance the motor is only good for scrap metal. Every motor that doesnt run "just needs the carbs cleaned."

I got it today and I am afraid the motor is just scrap metal but other than that it looks good. Anybody have any idea why a 86 mercury 80hp would only be firing on two cylinders? Is this motor even work spending time on or are they complete junk?

Aaron Lariscy said:
I got it today and I am afraid the motor is just scrap metal but other than that it looks good. Anybody have any idea why a 86 mercury 80hp would only be firing on two cylinders? Is this motor even work spending time on or are they complete junk?

Welcome to the world of "repower".

nomowork said:
Aaron Lariscy said:

Welcome to the world of "repower".

Amen I have come to hate mercurys in a serious way. I won't be happy till I see a jonnyrude on the back of it

The first order of business would be a compression check then go from there. If compression is good I would definitely look into repair rather than replace. If you don't have a gauge I would recommend the harbor freight one with 3-4 ends that quick connect to the gauge itself. It is cheap and gets the job done even if it is a far cry from a high end tool.

Ok update I checked compression and its a good 120 across all cylinders. Next I swapped the trigger wire of coil two to coil three and the spark followed so then it's the trigger right. Well next thing I know I have very weak to no spark on one and two. Started poking around and found a completely rotten wire it runs from the switch pannel to up under the flywheel and is pink where it attaches to the switch. I am thinking this wire may actually run up to the trigger but then again I don't know much about this motor. What is the procedure for removing the flywheel?

Get yourself a factory manual for that thing. It will be a great investment and have you learning a lot about your motor. The guys at iboats are an invaluable resource, too, if necessary. Good luck!

ober51 said:
The guys at iboats are an invaluable resource, too, if necessary.

Don't get me started..............................

I asked one question about a motor there and was banned for life. They didn't even have the spheres to tell me why and then they had even bigger spheres to ask me why I posted a negative comment about their forum.

Latest posts