Jon Transom Sealer Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyGoFish

Reaction score
Hi gang!....new, but not new... been trolling for a few months (pun Intended)....

So I've been restoring, and beefing up this little 10' foot Jon... nothing crazy, keeping it on the safe side... I will post pics in the other section here in a week or so when it's finally done...

but here is my dilemma, and question... Today I am doing a small transom reinforce project (Electric Motor Only), and will have 3 holes that may dip below the water. I really want to seal things up good, and I know everyone suggests the 3M 51-5200 stuff....But is there anything I can grab of the shelf at Lowe's that I can use with any amount of confidence? I cannot track down this 3M stuff anywhere around me (other than Mail-Order).... but hell I have Lowe's, Ace, and even 2 different Auto part stores within 2 Miles of me..

If you have a Walmart by you they sell something similar in the boat/fishing area. Other then that, clear silicone would work to seal screws.

I used 100% silicone to seal all my transome bolts (i too could not find the 3m product). Have had no problems yet. I used cap screw bolts and nuts with washers on both sides. I squirted silicone in the bolt holes and an apropriote spot of silicone under the washer and tightened till firm.

OK cool, thanks for the options fellas!... we just now finished the plates... gonna get them all lined up, and drill the holes tonight!... then I can make another run for the Sealer hunting at Walmart, and Lowe's....should have the project finished by tomorrow!.... I will check back before running back out later tonight though in case anyone has some more ideas, or feedback... thanks again gents!

I've used Goop from Lowe's for above water line stuff. For below water line, 5200 is the only thing I use. I want to do it once and once only.

Forgot, I also use silicone "sealant" for lower unit seals. I've also used silicone sealant to fix water leaks on car windshield gaskets.

I have had problems with GE silicone after 3 years or so. Starts to turn white, and peel off from alluminum. I don't use it anymore.

I use 5200 on everything below the water line.

Thanks for the tips on the sealer fellas, I ended up going with 100% Clear Silicone... I really filled up the holes, surrounded all the bolts, and put a good slab on the entire area where the bolts are. :arrow: I am pretty confident she is water tight for years to come! [-o< ....

BTW, great Site!... I am so glad I finally registered... This one is just my one man Swampin' Backwater Buggy...but me and a buddy have a few other Tin projects in the works this Summer...Thanks again for the help folks.

Attachments

• MotorPlate7.png
    MotorPlate7.png
    778.3 KB · Views: 456
  • MotorPlate6.png
    MotorPlate6.png
    754.9 KB · Views: 456
  • MotorPlate4.png
    MotorPlate4.png
    592.1 KB · Views: 456
  • MotorPlate3.png
    MotorPlate3.png