Transom Reinforcement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spook

Reaction score
Where did you guys find your oak 1x6 to reinforce your transom? And where can I find some materials/brackets to really beef up my transom? I plan on overpowering my lil boat just a tad 1432 with a 18hp :D :D :D

I used plywood also. I asked about using dimensional lumber when I redid my transom and everyone said to use ply. Its stronger and isnt prone to warping and bowing like dimensional lumber.

Lowes and Home Depot both sell Red Oak though in 1X dimensions. Red Oak isnt very good for exterior applications though so if you go that route, treat the crap out of it. White Oak would be a better choice but its gonna be harder to find in finish grade.

When I replaced my transom I used 2 pieces of 1/2" plywood with a oak 1"x6" board all glued and screwed together.

To answer the OP's question: A real lumber yard (not home depot/lowes), will have or be able to cut for you pretty much whatever size you want. If you ask a local cabinet wright or furniture maker they can give you a good lumberyard recommendation.

And now to add my part to the plywood/lumber discussion: Plywood may be stronger and perhaps more stable than wood... but an exposed white oak transom with a nice coating of resin or something for waterproofing looks a lot nicer than plywood, and can still be built much stronger than required. So, that's the way I went with my 1432. Haven't regretted it.

Latest posts