drill through transom wood for bilge outlet?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkuster

Reaction score
I want to add an electric bilge pump to my boat.

Where should drill the hole for the pump outlet?

Through the hull + transom wood? Or somewhere else on the boat where I can drill through just the aluminum hull?

The transom wood is 1.5" thick and covers the entire stern of the boat (at least the part that's above the waterline...)

If you're not too worried about aesthetics I'd run PVC from the bilge right over the top of the stern. That way you could avoid drilling through the hull. If you do drill through the wood it shouldn't be much of a problem, just make sure to seal the inside of the transom where you drill just in case any water happens to get through. And also make sure to use a good marine sealant around the tubing that you use for the bilge.

I suggest the side not the transom - the transom is usually the lowest place - you want any hole as far above the waterline as you can

Stupid question: What's a gusset? There's a metal "shelf" along the stern that holds the wooded transom so it's flush with the top of the stern. Is that what you mean? There is some space under there, but it would be below the waterline (if that matters.)

Ictalurus said:
Is there an area under the gusset where you could go out the side?

I was thinking of putting it near the top of the transom, which is probably ~ 16" above the waterline.

Must the bilge pump output be above the waterline?

Captain Ahab said:
I suggest the side not the transom - the transom is usually the lowest place - you want any hole as far above the waterline as you can

dkuster said:
Stupid question: What's a gusset? There's a metal "shelf" along the stern that holds the wooded transom so it's flush with the top of the stern. Is that what you mean? There is some space under there, but it would be below the waterline (if that matters.)

Ictalurus said:

A triangular pice that goes from the top of the transom to the top of the sides of your boat. Place the outlet under that (hidden from view) and out the side.

On my last boat that had an electric bilge pump (sold) it used a section of garden hose ran over the top of the transom. Fewer holes in the hull, IMO.

Ah, ok.
The triangular piece in my boat connects the bottom of the boat to the transom. I could put the hole next to the gusset, but then it would be below the waterline. I assume that's OK but I haven't seen a definitive answer...

Ictalurus said:
dkuster said:

Ictalurus said:

A triangular pice that goes from the top of the transom to the top of the sides of your boat. Place the outlet under that (hidden from view) and out the side.

I think they are talking about the part in the pic below, marked with the red arrow. Should be at the top of the transom. Sounds like you are talking about something down at the bottom. The part in the pic below should not be below the waterline, or you have serious problems. Maybe if you could send us a pic of your boat we could see what you are dealing with.

Attachments

• boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 796
OK, I see the piece you're referring to. I was thinking of the triangular piece in the center of the floor that connects to the transom (you have one in your pic, too).

My transom wood runs the complete width of the stern. So even under those side gussets I can't drill through the stern without also drilling through the wood. I could, however, drill through the side of the boat in that spot.

jonmac3569 said:
I think they are talking about the part in the pic below, marked with the red arrow. Should be at the top of the transom. Sounds like you are talking about something down at the bottom. The part in the pic below should not be below the waterline, or you have serious problems. Maybe if you could send us a pic of your boat we could see what you are dealing with.