Totally nautolexed (vinyl)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigngrub

Reaction score
Been bustin' my butt on this every day for the last couple of months and thought I'd post some pics.

With hatches open:
DSC02246.jpg

DSC02247.jpg

DSC02248.jpg

Hatches closed:
DSC02250.jpg

DSC02251.jpg

DSC02249.jpg

DSC02252.jpg

I've still got a few things to do, but should be back on the water in a day or two.

It's a '97 Tracker Pro Deep V, and the hull isn't restored. I don't worry too much about the outside because it's a fishin' boat and will just get dinged again if I fix it up.

I redid the inside with the vinyl to get rid of the soggy/damp/wet fish slimey carpet that breeds the mold and mildew. Now it's much easier to clean and maintain.

It used to look like this.

DSC02195.jpg

Now it doesn't matter if I spill my Pepsi or a fish drops on the deck, just hose it off when I get home. :D

Looks great ,what kinda texture does the vinyl have?Is it like a counter top, looks like carpet in the pics.

Lookin' good. =D> =D> =D> =D> What fasteners did you use out in the middle of the panels?
After a search this is all I could find but yours looks more like carpet? Am I missing something?
https://www.scalisemarine.com/nautolex.htm :?: :?: :?: :?:

batman said:
Looks great ,what kinda texture does the vinyl have?Is it like a counter top?Hello, looks like carpet in the pics.
It has kind of a tiny pebble texture and is very tough... as a matter of fact I skinned my knuckles on it a couple of times when I was pressure rolling it. It's not slick at all, and does look like carpet from a distance. You can walk on it with bare feet no problem, just don't fall on it face first and skid across it.

PATRIOT2 said:
Lookin' good. =D> =D> =D> =D> What fasteners did you use out in the middle of the panels?
After a search this is all I could find but yours looks more like carpet? Am I missing something?
https://www.scalisemarine.com/nautolex.htm :?: :?: :?: :?:

I used open end blind rivets, 1/4" diameter with a grip range of 7/8"-1"
DSC02214.jpg

I think the stuff you were looking at in that link is the Nautolex upholstery vinyl and not the decking/flooring vinyl. Here's a link to where I got mine:

https://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|10918|311409&id=311410&start=11&results=7&sort=products

I used the Storm Gray color and it took 30' of the 6' wide roll and had very little scrap left over for a 17' Deep V.

... btw, that's the best price I could find on the net at $9.50 a square yard... about $200 to do my boat.

Tin Man said:
Looks great! You did a superb job.

Did you use the Nautolux glue that is advertised on the Defender website?

Thanks for the kind words.

I used the nautolex 88 adhesive for the large flat areas/pieces. It's a more forgiving adhesive because the immediate bond is fairly weak and it makes it easier to make any adjustments and to roll out any air bubbles.

For wrapping the edges of the vinyl around to the back of the pieces and the smaller and irregular shaped pieces I used contact cement for the strong immediate bond, this eliminated the need to staple and/or tape the edges until the 88 adhesive set and cured.

Where I used the 88 adhesive, I applied it to the back of the vinyl and to the piece I was working on as per the instructions for maximum bonding.

jigngrub said:
Tin Man said:
Looks great! You did a superb job.

Did you use the Nautolux glue that is advertised on the Defender website?

Thanks for the kind words.

I used the nautolex 88 adhesive for the large flat areas/pieces. It's a more forgiving adhesive because the immediate bond is fairly weak and it makes it easier to make any adjustments and to roll out any air bubbles.

For wrapping the edges of the vinyl around to the back of the pieces and the smaller and irregular shaped pieces I used contact cement for the strong immediate bond, this eliminated the need to staple and/or tape the edges until the 88 adhesive set and cured.

Where I used the 88 adhesive, I applied it to the back of the vinyl and to the piece I was working on as per the instructions for maximum bonding.

Thanks. What was the purpose of the aluminum rivets in the center of the larger areas? I'm assuming to hold down the Nautolex. Did the glue not hold it down well enough?
Thanks

Tin Man said:
Thanks. What was the purpose of the aluminum rivets in the center of the larger areas? I'm assuming to hold down the Nautolex. Did the glue not hold it down well enough?
Thanks

The adhesive is holding the Nautolex down fine.

I used the rivets to fasten the decking to the boat framing. I like my decking fasteners exposed in case I need to remove some or all of the decking to make repairs below deck (leaks, livewell plumbing). That way I don't have to rip up my nice vinyl job to get below deck. and I can fasten the panels back down with more rivets and it'll be good as new.

I don't think the exposed rivets look too bad, and they'll save time and money if I ever need to remove the decking.

Didn't think about the need to remove deck for repairs, but very smart idea to keep rivets exposed. My floors are just laid down with no fasteners. I may have to consider how they can be fastened.

Thanks for the info.............again, floor looks beautiful!!

Latest posts