Width of transom wood need for a 14' alumimi, semi v.....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdog2594

Reaction score
with a 15 hp gas motor? What width is recommended for the inside transom and outside piece?

Most people just use the old transom as a basic template..

Are you talking about thickness or width?

Thickness. The length I am going to just go 4 feet. My transom was cobbed pretty much when I got it. It had I am trying to decide if I should just do two 1/2" pieces of oak plywood or 3/4". The outside back piece I am pretty sure was 3/8 so I will go 1/2" with that piece.

1/2" or 3/4" will both work. Just be sure that you NEVER use pressure treated wood on an aluminum boat as it will cause electrolytic pitting. High quality, exterior grade plywood sealed with 2-part epoxy, fiberglass mat and polyester resin, or several coats of Spar Urethane will seal the wood properly. Then mount it to the hull using only Stainless Steel hardware, preferably dipped in 3M 5200 marine sealant for good measure. That's really all there is to it. Good luck. Holler if you get stuck.

Thanks, I was trying to decide if going 1" with the transom wood would be enough or if 1 1/2" was overkill on a small boat and motor. Trust me, I am staying far away from pt wood. Gonna go grab the transom wood tonight and wanted to make sure I have all my ducks in a row!

Latest posts