Marine sealants and waterproof caulks with silicone

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdog2594

Reaction score
I am in need of some marine sealant for the transom bolts in a new transom. I have absolutely nowhere even close to me that sells the 3m 5200. Are their other things that can be used? I heard there was a driveway sealant that had the same ingredients as 5200, but can't remember exactly. What about something like loctite interior/exterior clear silicone waterproof sealant? Would that work? Any suggestions?

Surprisingly Lowes sells 5200 in my area. If you are having trouble finding it local I'd just order it online. There is a reason everyone recommends it.. Surely something else would work but how long it would hold up is most likely the difference. Think someone said Napa could get it as well.

Home Depot has it near me... Lowes did not last time I checked. It's located in the paint department. It's great stuff, and while I'm sure you could use other products, i'm not sure you would find anything better for the money. Stuff will stick to about any clean surface. IMO I would order it online if no stores have it locally.

HD has it near me too. It's in the adhesives section of the paint dept next to the loc-tite products and Gorilla glue.

If you'll read the tube on the silicone and other waterproof caulks it will state not for use below the waterline... you may want to keep that in mind and check the tubes before you buy.

Latest posts