transom mounted trolling motor and outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txneal

Reaction score
I'm wanting to add a trolling motor to my boat and would prefer to go with a transom mount. However, I'm unsure whether its possible to mount a trolling motor next to my outboard without it interfering with my ability to use the tiller control on my motor. My outboard is a tiller controlled 25hp Evinrude and I'm wanting to install a Minn Kota Riptide next to it.

If any of you guys have experience with running a tiller controlled outboard with a transom mount trolling motor next to it, I'd be interested in knowing what sort of challenges are involved or if its even possible to set it up this way.

I have a 12' boat with a 6hp and a transom mount trolling motor and have no troubles. I made sure that when I set it up that either motor had full range of motion (left to right) and wouldn't hit the other. When I am running the outboard I pull the trolling motor up to reduce drag, and generally I leave the outboard down when I am trolling unless I am in really shallow water. You shouldn't have any troubles.

on my 1436 my troller is mounted on the starbord side. did it that way for tiller clearance and it works fine.

thanks for your replies! Its seems like I don't have much room for mounting the trolling motor next to the outboard, but I think I can probably make it work somehow. I suppose I'll just buy the motor and then figure it out My boat is a 1972 Starcraft Seafarer and it has a cut-out in the transom, so it starts to rise just a short distance over from where the outboard is mounted. I'm thinking that I may have to fabricate a mount of some sort for the trolling motor if there isn't enough room, but that would mean that it would be mounted a little higher, so it might require a longer shaft length.

Heres my set up. When Running I bring the troller up which lays flat on the deck and is completely out of the way.

Attachments

• DSC00079.JPG
    DSC00079.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 3,128
Fool4fish: my transom is similar to your's , so I think it should work for me as well. Thanks for the photo...it helps to clarify my thoughts when I have a visual like that!

txneal said:
Fool4fish: my transom is similar to your's , so I think it should work for me as well. Thanks for the photo...it helps to clarify my thoughts when I have a visual like that!

You got it, I like pictures too, really gives the other person a good idea of what you are talking about.

Hope it all works out for you.

fool4fish: What is the shaft length on the trolling motor in your photo? I'm measuring my transom and outboard height and trying to decide if I should go with a 36 or 42 inch shaft. I like the way yours is situated, so I'm wondering what that shaft length is>

It's actually a 30" shaft but I would recommend a 36" and really mounted of the back 40" would work too. Take a couple of measurements and try to figure out were you want the head of your motor be so that it will be comfortable for you to operate.

Thanks for the help. I just placed my order for a Minn Kota Riptide 55lb thrust transom mount with a 36 inch shaft. This is something I've been planning to add to my boat for a couple of years now and finally got around to doing it. Looking forward to getting a chance to go try it out!

Latest posts