Scanoe or Gheenoe question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dice1

Reaction score
I was lookin at getting a scanoe from Dicks in a week or so just as a quick topper for the truck. I then saw the gheenoe. while the gheenoe is a bit moe costly it seems like a cool deal. anyone have one?

Gheenoe's are made in the town i was born and raised in (east central FL) For this type of boat you will find nothing better and i came very close to getting one instead of my tin. A life long friend of mine has had one for over 25 yrs and still uses it regularly, you can see it in a few of my photos. His is the high side classic, but they have several nice and larger models now, very stable and almost impossible to tip over. check out youtube, there are planty of video's showing the boats ability and cutomizing.

I have one, probably the most stable boat for the size you will ever fish out of. Mine is the 13 ft. model and think weight is about 125 lbs. for hull only, good luck! 8) :D

I am very obsessed with the gheenoe lately.... i plan on getting a 13 model by this time next year. Looks like it would make a great little sneak boat

I have had one since I was 13, my Dad gave it to me as a birthday gift.

It has been used and abused. I have drug it thru the rock riffles in the river countless times.

My gheenoe has been an excellent boat, I still have it.

I have never flipped it, and I have flipped a 14/36 jon a few times.

I have a gheenoe that made it from titusville,FL to Oklahoma with me. It is amazing.... my gheenoe was one of the first ones Mr Gheen built third month of production from gheenoe (April to be exact), I called and talked to him and Mr. Gheen looked up the serial number and told me he laid my boat up in his garage, before he opened the factory. He said first two years he had the company he worked out of his two car garage....

Needless to say I traded an extra laptop for it and have fished it from Florida to Oklahoma, and have never ever been disappointed... great boats...

kcatto said:
I have a gheenoe that made it from titusville,FL to Oklahoma with me. It is amazing.... my gheenoe was one of the first ones Mr Gheen built third month of production from gheenoe (April to be exact), I called and talked to him and Mr. Gheen looked up the serial number and told me he laid my boat up in his garage, before he opened the factory. He said first two years he had the company he worked out of his two car garage....

Needless to say I traded an extra laptop for it and have fished it from Florida to Oklahoma, and have never ever been disappointed... great boats...

Are you from Tville, just wondering if I might know you, I was born and raised and only moved to jax 12yrs ago.

A number of park service, river canoe liveries, up-here parts, run the Scanoe/Coleman units cause they're cheap. They suck! The hull is super thin and will bulge inward in the center. This gives you a TON of drag.

Gheenoe all the way. Without a doubt. They come in 13', 15'4'' (16') versions, only weigh about 120 lbs and come with an almost unlimited number of configurations from classic tiller to full blow center console set ups with poling platforms, casting decks and the all the bells and whistles. If you want to see some amazing 'noes check out microskiff.com, customgheenoe.com and/or youtube.com. The new LT 25 are amazing and can take up to a 40 hp 4 stroke! I've even seen a center console 13'. There are even rumors of an 18' version in the works that Mr.Gheen has been using for himself. Check out these vids......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cTLSfUMQ2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8vOjs6nhu4&feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZMR97duw_Q&feature=related

JaxJonBoat said:
kcatto said:

Are you from Tville, just wondering if I might know you, I was born and raised and only moved to jax 12yrs ago.

No I m not from titusville, I lived on Merritt island, and worked at the cape. before moving to Australia, and then back home to Oklahoma.... I lived on merritt island for a total of three years... All in all not to bad I picked up a great boat in florida and a great wife in Australia.... both of which I have never regretted the last fifteen years.

For some strange reason ....im obsessed with the 16' super gheenoe. With stick steering.
peabody

P.s. would even take a 15'x6" classic.

peabody said:
For some strange reason ....im obsessed with the 16' super gheenoe. With stick steering.
peabody

Me too, but the CC version ( the thinner console not the wide one) I would trade my beloved 15'4 highsider towards it.

chattahoochee said:
peabody said:
peabody

Me too, but the CC version ( the thinner console not the wide one) I would trade my beloved 15'4 highsider towards it.

Yes ...just watched a u-tube video of a bunch of gheenoes cruising a river.
Looked like a lot of fun.
That stick steering boat was just too kool.!
Looked like water go-carts. Ha.
Im in west central missouri ... have never seen a gheenoe around here.
And dont know why?is it because of the low freeboard? The water does get rough. On truman now and then.

peabody said:
chattahoochee said:
peabody said:
peabody

Yes ...just watched a u-tube video of a bunch of gheenoes cruising a river.
Looked like a lot of fun.
That stick steering boat was just too kool.!
Looked like water go-carts. Ha.
Im in west central missouri ... have never seen a gheenoe around here.
And dont know why?is it because of the low freeboard? The water does get rough. On truman now and then.

Im not sure, but heck I have only seen a small handfull around here. If people knew how great they are there would be alot fewer yaks and canoes sold, I promise you that.

Unless your built like a Russian Bear, and you want to car top it. Stay away from the Scanoe. I had the original Coleman Scanoe for 7 years and another Pelican Scanoe for 5 more. Their versatile, and stable but heavy as hell. I trailered mine. I remember them being about 113 lbs. dry weight.

If I were you, I would skip both, save money, and go with the aluminium Sportspal by Castlecraft. WARNING, Radisson makes the same canoe by the same name. But Radissons sportspals are super thin, and dent and rip easily. The Sportspal by Castlecraft is thicker aluminium but still light weight, quite lighter than the same size Gheenoe.

https://www.castlecraft.com/sportspal_square-stern.htm

Oh boy ....humans are fickle :
Now I've decided ...i want a low tide gheenoe ... rated for a 25hp 4 stroke ( i have a mercury 25 bigfoot short shaft )
Add a CMC TnT .........should be about perfect for truman lake.
peabody

Attachments

• stickst.jpg
    stickst.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 935
  • stickst.jpg
    stickst.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 935
The top boat is stick steer .....
but i also really like this one too.

Attachments

• 6a1db200-1.jpg
    6a1db200-1.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 935
PEABODY!!!! You gotta quit that man my wallet and nerves cant take it!!! :LOL2:

Seriously, I had to vacate the custom Gheenoe forum because of the persistent drooling and desire to sell stuff....

Latest posts