Newbie saying Hi

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryder

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been lurking on this site for a long time, tried to read and understand all i could, and now I have decided its time for me to get a boat. My question is this, together my wife and I are right at the 400 lbs. mark,(with my big backside being the much larger :oops: ) so to my way of thinking, i should probably be looking at a minumum of a 1448 or larger boat. Am I correct in the way I am thinking? This boat will be used for river and creek fishing and some back water areas of the intercoastal. This will be a first time boat purchase so I am really wanting to do it right the first time if ya know what I mean, :D . Thanks for any advice yall can give, and be sure i will be back with alot more questions.

This is just me and everyone is different, but if I were you, I'd go 1648 and get either a semi-mod V or a V-hull boat. Here's why:

1. The 16 foot boat gives you enough length that two casters, one at each end of the boat, are pretty much out of each other's way casting wise.

2. Some of the areas you mentioned are going to have fairly high levels of boat traffic at times as well as tide surges and good sized waves. With the V-hull doing the best, the boats I mentioned will cut the waves, etc a bit better than the standard jon boat would.

3. Just in general, V-hull type boats have higher sides as well, giving additional protection from being swamped.

If you can find it, an Bass Tracker Tournament V-17 boat like mine would be ideal for all the areas you're describing. Long enough to give space, flat enough to be stable, tall enough to be safe and the V-hull would cut the waves for you.

BTW, I grew up fishing areas just like you described in North Carolina, from the Neuse River (Goldsboro to New Bern) to the Inland Waterway at Wilmington and all areas in between. Great way to grow up.

+1 on what Dave said.

I would go with a 16 footer minimum. I have a 14 foot V and when I go to places with heavy boat traffic I don't bring the wife because it's just to rough.

River and Creek fishing you would likely be fine with a 1448, but you'll likely want to upgrade in a year or two. There's a reason why there are more 12 and 14 foot boats on craigslist than 16 foot boats. :)

Welcome to the site too!

Welcome Ryder,

I agree with Dave and Vermonster.
I have a 14 ft. jon boat for the local lakes and an 18 ft. V for the Bay. Big difference between the two.