Textured Topside Paint??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitFishin'

Reaction score
Hello all! I have recently steelflexed the bottom and up 10" on the sides of my boat. due to all the repairs made and imperfections in the hull I have been looking for some topside paint that adds texture in hopes to hide as much of this as possible, but have not had any luck... I was gonna try and avoid using bedliner if possible... does anyone know of any products like this? then i had an idea of using regular topside paint, and then after its dry going over that as light as i can with a spray on bedliner. just enough to add the texture i need to hide as much as i can, but still get some shine thru the voids in the bedliner. sorry if this is confusing. any and all input is appreciated.

Also I should add that i have 0 experience when it comes to Painting anything....

I used Overton's Tuff Coat - a Marine textured paint

Just make sure you use the correct applicator (roller) and you will be fine

I like C.Ahaab ... Mine was from Bass Pro .But best I can tell its same...Used the water based primer for metal same brand as Ultra tuff textured nonskid ..Had mine down to bare metal suffed and painted on Primer (its red).Directions say roller or Hopper gun(like used to blow texture on sheet rock).. for Textured coat..I had my doubts but I bought hopper gun from Harbor Freght with on sale and 20% off coupon it cost 9.99 and I got a free pair of leather gloves with coupon.....It worked like a Dream probably took less than 5 minutes per coat on total inside of 16fx60" bottem boat..It looked so good that I had the console out and stripped that I did it also..Really looks great feels tuff and looks like it will wear well ,but I haven't put foot in it..Its upside down doing sanding and paint prep..so I can paint 'probably next week..Gota be a warm dry day its outside...cva34

Just to be clear, you used this on the outside of the hull above the waterline right? I looked at that overtons the other day and I think I read in the FAQ that ur supposed to reapply each year. I could be wrong though. Do either of you have any pics? Thanks for the insight

If your sitting in boat my boat on floor your sittin on ultra tuff and all the way up sides and all the way around ..Its kinda lick spray in Bedliner with rubber particles in it to create a non skid surface..I expect years out of it.. Time will tell...Have no pic and would'nt know what to do with if I had,, sorry ...cva34

Paint it and sprinkle sand on it. The more sand you put the more grip you'll have. After sand is added and paint is dried go back over with a top coat of paint and your done

Marine Linex - It's NOT the bedliner material you put in your truck. TOTALLY different material and it's the shitz. NOT cheap but sweet stuff. Here's a photo of it on a tin. I'm having it done on the inside of my SeaArk as we speak. Not a whole lot of Linex folks doing it - it's called XS-650 and comes in a variety of finishes. My boat is currently in Sarasota being done.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/sarasota-line-x/467464-new-line-x-xs-650-marine-boat-decks-engine-brackets-t-tops-towers.html

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    471.4 KB · Views: 1,100
yes Badbagger thats what im talkin about!!!i want to put something like that on the outside of my boat. thanks for all the input. now i just need to figure out what that will cost me...

PitFishin' said:
Just to be clear, you used this on the outside of the hull above the waterline right? I looked at that overtons the other day and I think I read in the FAQ that ur supposed to reapply each year. I could be wrong though. Do either of you have any pics? Thanks for the insight

No inside on the floors

and no need to reapply -

I was originally going to go with Grizzly Grip for my decks and floors. But after coming across this below, I've changed my mind.

https://www.softsandrubber.com/

I was looking at about $160 to install Grizzly Grip and I'd have to try and get my paint to match. With this stuff I don't have to worry with paint match and I'm looking at about $25-$40 depending on how much I need. I'm waiting on a sample pack from them, but it seems like this stuff would also be easier on the skin than some sort of bedliner.

the softsand looks like good stuff, however im going to use carpet to hide hinges and bad cuts and whatever else needs hidden. Im looking for something to paint the outside of the boat with. ive applied steelflex on the bottom and up the sides a little bit, and now i need to find some sort of textured paint to finish the outside with.

i don't think there is any way i'm gonna be able to afford the linex... i wish... i may try the tuff coat, do you have any pics of what the end result will be? im not really looking for a high gloss so i think this may suit me just fine. i'm thinking about using a light grey, and maybe adding a different color stripe somewhere(color unknown) so do you know if i might be able to paint over it? thanks. if i have to buy a small portion to test it i will, just don't want to paint the whole boat and not be happy with it.

When we needed grip on our workboats, we would clean the area very well and remove as much oil and grease as possible with acetone. We would take an outdoor paint (get almost anywhere by the gallon for around 20 bucks) and roll a coat on the area. We would led it get tacky, then sprinkle on some sand. Roll on another coat of paint over the sand, and you had a non-skid surface that was surprisingly durable. All 10 of our airboats had the decks done like this and we used them 6 days a week. We would have to shut down and refill the chemicals every half hour or so. Those decks got alot of traffic. Sure, it would eventually wear off, but it was quick, cheap, and easy to reapply.

Latest posts