Ice chest hold downs.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juicegoose

Reaction score
My 16' modV has these old corner hold downs for an ice chest. They are broken and I was going to replace them but thought about putting in floor d-rings instead. This way when the ice chest isn't installed I won't have the tripping hazard. Has anyone had success with these? What ways have you guys installed hold downs?

Ya I'm thinking the regular ole galvanized ones at the big box stores would work for salt water.

Here you go, this is what I use and they're great.

https://www.kennedytiedown.com/forum/images1.htm#coolerkit

Badbagger said:
Here you go, this is what I use and they're great.

https://www.kennedytiedown.com/forum/images1.htm#coolerkit
:shock: I see only one item that says (pair), so are those other prices for single items? As in $72 and up in parts to be able to fasten something down?

just go to home depot and hit up the hard ware dept. and im sure you can come up with all that for like 10 buks

just go to home depot and hit up the hard ware dept. and im sure you can come up with all that for like 10 buks thats a slick idea tho

The home depot stuff wouldn't be stainless so it wouldn't be fair to compare that cost but if that's the single piece price on that one site, it seems to be quite a bit over priced for some of the parts. I'd expect the turnbuckle would be a little pricey but some of the simple pieces of flat stock with holes in it is pretty basic stuff.

i was planning on getting something from lowes or iboats and just paint it with bumper coating and use a bungee cord or something not gonna spend a ton on stainless.. no need for turnbuckles

Hi Juice. I was having the same issue with my cooler. Eventually I just made my own older and tie downs using a bit of alumuminum angle and a couple tunrbuckles. It only cost about $4 for the hardware and works like a charm.

Attachments

• 0906121904-00.jpg
    0906121904-00.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 1,490
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 1,490
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 1,490
I used a stainless eye bolt, a couple fender washers, and a bungee cord. Works well for me
2013-01-30_10-45-01_952_zpsf5b7914a.jpg

Built mine into the boat:

b64ac0c5-1.jpg

f75a33e4-1.jpg

Obviously not for everyone, but that puppy ain't goin' anywhere!

:)

This looks like a good alternative. Not completely flat when not in use, but the ring lays down inside it's own housing. Very low trip hazard. Two of these, some screws or bolts, a couple turn buckles, and you should be good to go. :D

https://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/erickson-round-surface-mount-anchor-point-1200-lb-maximum

If you have an outboard the clanging sound may bug you when not it use. I would bet when cruising even the slightest chop it would drive you nuts. I know it would bug me.

You could always spray the rings and/or base with rubberized undercoating or plastidip. Should help a lot.

FWIW I went with the D-Rings and turnbuckles for my storage box, and plasti-dipped the D-ring brackets.
Works fine for me, but I don't take the box out.

I also used the D rings for my cooler/livewell with a couple of 12 inch bungee cords and they work great. My new boat will have recessed rings in the floor so there will definitely not be a trip hazzard. I'm 330 lbs and not very graceful!