Beefing up a transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Creed

Reaction score
How have you guys gone about strengthening up the transom in your boats? I just bought a little 14' v bottom to restore, and I am looking at doing some kind of structural support on the transom. Any tips are appreciated!

they say you can put supports from the transom to the bottom of boat. you can trough hull the bolts or screw them to the transom.. here is a picture of what I have to do..

Attachments

• 0320131237b - Copy.jpg
    0320131237b - Copy.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 564
  • transombrace.jpg
    transombrace.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 564
Can you supply a picture of what you have. A lot of times just replacing the rotten wood is all that is needed. You could add a piece of aluminum ¼ inch plate to the outside as well to help support the motor.

Ill get a picture up shortly. With new transom wood it should be a bit stronger. Im thinking of doing some gussets like shown above.

My boat came with a 40 HP outboard when it was built in 1961 and it didn't have supports. I'm going to add them just for peace of mind. Then I might be able to go up to a 50-60 HP. Just going to be slow build for me, but it gives me time to think what I want to do.

Latest posts